cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent bridge with mesh configration and GE2 port configuration

Transparent bridge with mesh configration and GE2 port configuration

froggy
New Contributor III

How do I configure the GE2 port on AP to allow for tagged traffic? I've setup the mesh network and successfully connected a client to an ssid on the non-root AP but we need to connect a switch (either fabric or tradditional(tagged) on the remote office. The only thing mentioned in  the user guide is to set the non-root AP GE2 port to bridge but nothing else is said as to how the GE2 port will allow for tagged traffic . 

What we need is the meshnetwork with a root (connected to the infrastructure network) and non-root to connect the remote site and use a switch with trunk port to connect to the GE2 port ont the non-root AP.  When testing the connection in my office i connect my laptop and i get an address from the wireless management vlan  and when i connect the AP to a test switch im not able to ping the switch or get an address on the laptop connected to that switch. 

i configured the switch with a "default" vlan and set the switch port to trunk and connected to the GE2 port on the AP. 

The model of the AP is AP460C 

Also, when i connect the switch to the AP port the AP loses connectivity with mesh and also tried it while connected to the network via wired connection. 

I have slpp disable and spanning tree bpdu disabled on that port on the switch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

@froggy wrote:

How do I configure the GE2 port on AP to allow for tagged traffic?

You don't have to, it's transparent. Everything that goes in, comes out, including tagged frames. At least that was my experience when I did it years ago... 

You could connect your laptop and use wireshark to check the traffic for tagged frames, just to see if they arrive or not. But it depends a bit on your NIC if you are able to see them in wireshark at all. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

@froggy wrote:

How do I configure the GE2 port on AP to allow for tagged traffic?

You don't have to, it's transparent. Everything that goes in, comes out, including tagged frames. At least that was my experience when I did it years ago... 

You could connect your laptop and use wireshark to check the traffic for tagged frames, just to see if they arrive or not. But it depends a bit on your NIC if you are able to see them in wireshark at all. 

froggy
New Contributor III

Hey it looks like the root-AP switch port was being disabled due to bpdus so i disable it and got it working after that. I made both ports trunks. thanks for your help!

froggy
New Contributor III

so how did you physically connect the non-root ap? i mean the 2nd port doesnt have PoE so you either need a PoE injector or connect both ports to the same switch that you will be using to provide network access to the remote site? 

when I connect the AP to a poe injector and creates the link with no issues but the minute i connect the second port to the switch the AP reboots and doesnt come back online until i connect it back to the network. I dont have a serial cable that i can use on the AP to see what the AP does when i connect the second port. 

Also, How about the Root AP. How did you configure the port where the root AP was connected? like a trunk and match the same vlans on the remote site switch? 

GTM-P2G8KFN