cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about virtual and physical appliances in new network setup

Confused about virtual and physical appliances in new network setup

jrd1979
New Contributor

I’ve inherited a newly installed network that may or may not have been completely configured by one of your partners  (They apparently left mid-project). I’m trying to wrap my head around the current configuration and I am more than a little confused about which appliances are physical, which are virtual, and where exactly the virtual appliances are installed. 

On a new server we have a VM installed in Hyper-V Manager called netsight_appliance_64bit.6.2.0.221, which connects me to a Netsight Suite Appliance 8.2.6.5. But it also looks like the Windows version was installed on the server too. 

There is also an EAC access control engine A-20 but when I try to access that via the web interface my root password does not work. Is that a physical piece of hardware? How is it related to the NAC?

I”m sorry for the dumb questions. If someone can just point me to the help file or anywhere I can get clarification on which device is which and which one needs updating. 

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee

Hello,

NAC-A-20 is a physical NAC appliance that is Extreme Control.

If you SSH into the box and run the following command: 

cat /opt/nac/server/config/config.properties 

You can see which XMC it is pointing to that is being used. It’ll be the “Netsight IP” that is configured.

Thanks

-Ryan

jrd1979
New Contributor

I don’t think the Windows install is working, plus it is not bound to the IP we use to access XMC. I am uninstalling it (Windows) now. Perhaps a technician started one install and then abandoned it, who knows. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will be able to get into the data center tomorrow to inspect all of the hardware. 

Jay2009
New Contributor

Not sure why you would have both the Hyper-V appliance and the Windows install. The Hyper-V virtual appliance should be good enough.

I believe the NAC-A-20 is a physical appliance. XMC is a single pane of glass solution, so the NAC appliance should have just integrated into XMC. If you go to the Control section in XMC you can look for NAC engine under access control. If it is there it is integrated.

This doc should help

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/netsight/8.3/XMC_8.3_XMC_Control_Analytics_Virtual_Engine_...

Hope that helps. 

GTM-P2G8KFN