Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint or solution for detecting external DNS activity

Fingerprint or solution for detecting external DNS activity

Peter_Majercak
New Contributor II

Hi team,

i am trying to find the best solution how to detect a clients, who are using external DNS in the network.

3rd party switches and mirror to PV FC 180, then Extreme Analytics. My DNS servers are in subnet 10.25.0.0/16 and i need to know both - Clients who are using my and Client who are using Extrenal, then create Alarm….

What type of fingeprint do you recommend me? 

Many thanks!

Regards,

--

peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Peter,

the easiest way is the following:
Find a flow to the internal DNS server in the "Application Flows" tab, right-click on the flow and select "Add Fingerprint".

Now you have an entry consisting of port and IP. Give it a name. It is important that the "Confidence" is higher than the existing fingerprints for DNS (so your fingerprint is more specific).  You can check this in the tab "Fingerprints".

=> Requests to the internal DNS will be recognized with your new fingerprint.
=> All other DNS requests with the default fingerprint.

Regards Stephan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Peter,

the easiest way is the following:
Find a flow to the internal DNS server in the "Application Flows" tab, right-click on the flow and select "Add Fingerprint".

Now you have an entry consisting of port and IP. Give it a name. It is important that the "Confidence" is higher than the existing fingerprints for DNS (so your fingerprint is more specific).  You can check this in the tab "Fingerprints".

=> Requests to the internal DNS will be recognized with your new fingerprint.
=> All other DNS requests with the default fingerprint.

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN