cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netsight 6.3.0.179 wont Start.

Netsight 6.3.0.179 wont Start.

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
Have upgraded Netsight to 6.3.0.179 and now it wont launch properly.

Service Manager on startup states "unable to find java runtime" "Application shutting down"

Have backed up and tried an uninstall but even that doesn't work, states "unable to find main class" "application shutting down"

Stuck now as to what to do, running JRE 1.8.0_73

Has anyone seen this behaviour?

5 REPLIES 5

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
I would strongly advise to update to the latest NetSight release.

Not sure if this will help anyone a year later but in my case I was experiencing what I believe to be the same issue as Ian Broadway the initiator of this thread. Upon logging into my Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Standard server where I have xtreme manager installed I receive a pop-up message from Windows stating "Unable to find main class. Application shutting down. When installing Netsight or xtreme manager as its called today it places the Services Manager icon somewhere on the server so it will start automagically anytime someone logs in. It also creates an icon on the desktop to do the same. I beleive this to be a Java issue and how the application icon is launching,/using memory. To resolve the issue all you have to do is increase the memory Java uses by changing the desktop icon properties Target from "C:\Program Files\Extreme Networks\NetSight\services\nsservicemgr.exe" -Xmx64m to "C:\Program Files\Extreme Networks\NetSight\services\nsservicemgr.exe" -Xmx128m notice all that was changed is the -Xmx parameter from 64m to 128m and the desktop icon now successfully launches the Services Manager placing the memory resident icon in the lower right corner of Windows desktop taskbar. This change allows the application to use more memory increasing the amount from -64 to -128. This little icon (Services Manager portion of Xtreme Management Suite or again, Netsight) is used to stop and start the xtreme services. Its just a handy little tool for managing all the xtreme management services rather than launching the services.msc and doing it there which is the same thing only different. What I am still having an issue with is every time someone logs into the server the services manager tries to auto start but it cant because whatever command line its using to launch still probably has the -64m setting and needs to be increased to -128m like I did in the desktop icon. Simple I know but I cant find where the application is trying to launch from anyone know? I dont disagree with Ian its always best practice to update to the latest release but this is not an issue due to older release not working properly per se' but a simple tweak needed as most likely as a result of other applications on the server using Java also. You have to spread the love as far as memory usage between Java applications and sometimes increase one applications usage to do so. Again, anyone know where the xtreme services manager is trying to launch from I didnt find it in the startupfolder???? And I dont see it in MSCONFIG\Services although there are other NetSight services listed there but again, not the nsservicemgr.exe that I can see? Please Help!!!!

I tried to modify my previous post but it wouldnt let me - When installing xtreme manager it places the Services Manager icon (nsservicemgr.exe) on the desktop to manually start it and also places the icon in C:\Users\your-logged-in-user-account\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup which of course automagically launches Services Manager everytime someone logs in or as Ian put it upon startup...

I fixed the issue by modifying the desktop icon by increasing the memory switch you see in the icon properties Target line which is "C:\Program Files\Extreme Networks\NetSight\services\nsservicemgr.exe" -Xmx64m to "C:\Program Files\Extreme Networks\NetSight\services\nsservicemgr.exe" -Xmx128m notice all that was changed is the -Xmx parameter from 64m to 128m. This change allows the application/Java to use more memory increasing the amount from -64 to -128.

I dont disagree with Ian, its always best practice to update to the latest release but, this is not an issue due to an older release not working properly per se' but what I beleive to be a result of other Java based applications also vying for memory when launched. DISCLAIMER: I'm no Java expert but have managed a lot of Java applications in the past...The fix is you modify the command line for your respective Java based app, increase or decrease whatever your case may be, the memory usage. This is done by the aforementioned modification, increasing or decreasing the -Xmx variable on your Java based applications command line target.

Alicia_Gil
New Contributor
Hello, I have the same issue.

How did you solve it?

Thanks
GTM-P2G8KFN