cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP Error Timeout

SNMP Error Timeout

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have a customer that has two different sites with a couple S8's at the core of one and S4's at the core of another.

The edge consists of multiple stacks of C5's which the top switch being a C5K for 10gb.

There seems to be a couple, out of the manystacks that persistently give the following error:

SNMP Contact Lost: No SNMP reply from device 192.168.xxx.xx caused by SNMP Error: Timeout[4098], last uptime was 21 Days 23:14:26.4

When Netsight looses SNMP contact to the switch you can still ping and SSH to it, and no other adverse affect seems to be happening to the switch then what seems random lose in polling.

When an event briefly happened I was able to get onto the device and tried to ping the IP address of the Netsight server, which failed! I wasn't able to do anymore testing before it came back online.

The uplink ports consist of one 1 x 10gb and 2 x 1GB as a lag. MSTP is configured with the data vlan using the 10Gb and the lag used for the voice vlan.

Have looked at spanning, and there has been no topology changes, the ports have remained continually up and show no errors in rmon stats.

Not sure if anyone has seen this before and can provide any suggestions?

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Jason_Parker
Contributor
I will try to answer both questions
Questions 1. The Extreme Side is adding or allowing a command that you can see the number of pause frames Extreme Expose per-port flow-control (rx/tx pause & PFC) counters 15.7 or later

Question 2. Port errors would be seen on the C2 etc. as they do not have the command show port flowcontrol

Please let us know if you have any issues by calling the GTAC and opening a ticket. Those tickets have a higher priority but we do try to get back to the HUB to assist when we can
Thank You
Jason

Anil_Waghmode
New Contributor
I also facing same problem, some devices getting this kind of error, i am using Netsight.

bw447
New Contributor III
Is there a way to look at the number of paused packets on an Extreme switch? I don't see the command that would show this info. Thanks!

Jason_Parker
Contributor
So to look at the big picture

If you turn it off at the switch port then we will drop the pause frames but you really have to look at the big picture.
Why is the traffic so hi on the port
Broadcasts, Multicasts are there spanningtree issues?

I would consider either disabling pause on all port and flow control on the switch
Capture traffic via wireshark(free) and either capture an open port or set port mirroring create Srceport destport ane review traffic

GTM-P2G8KFN