cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

SNMP-Read Problems - bad community name, since XOS-15.5.3.4 BD8810. BDX8

SNMP-Read Problems - bad community name, since XOS-15.5.3.4 BD8810. BDX8

jackmikel
New Contributor
Since I updated our BD8810 from XOS Version 15.3.4.6-patch1-8.xos to 15.5.3.4-patch1-6.xos I get problems to access the switch through snmp from Netsight 6.1 or Ridgeline 3.1.

In the syslog of the BD8810 I got a lot of
"MSM-A: Login failed through SNMPv1/v2c - bad community name" (IP of Ridglien and Netsight)

For sure, the community names are the same as before the updates.

Nearly the same behavior shows our BDX8, also updated from XOS-Version 15.3.4.6-patch1-8.xos to bdX-15.5.3.4-patch1-6.xos.
Ridgeline 3.1 mentions "System SNMP Unreachable". An "Update Device" from Ridgeline says: "Not responding to SNMP. Please check community name and route to switch"

On the other side I updated some X460 from summitX-15.3.4.6-patch1-10.xos to SummitX-15.5.3.4-patch1-6.xos there are no smmp Problems with Ridgeline or Netsight.

At this point I have studied the User Guide (ExtremeXOS_15_5_User-Guide.pdf) and the Release Notes (ExtremeXOS_15.5.3_Patch1-6_RelNotes.pdf), but I'm not getting the message/sense what has realy changed between the versions and what I have to configure on the BDs that this will work again.

Any idea is appricated.

10 REPLIES 10

Eva_Gilszki
New Contributor
I had the same issue yesterday with Ridgeline SNMP communication after upgrading our Blackdiamond 8810 to the recommended fw version.
this command solved it:
configure snmp compatibility ip-fragmentation allow

jackmikel
New Contributor
GTAC has the answer for the Ridgeline SNMPv3 Problem "not in life time" for XOS-Version 15.5 and 15.6

Ridgeline is sending numerous empty get requests with engine boots and engine time values which are set as 0.
This is resulting in unnecessary authentication failed traps being triggered from the device and EXOS log messages indicating that login failed through SNMPv3. It will be solved in Ridgeline 4.1 SP2.

http://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Warn-SNMP-Master-AuthFail-Login-failed-th...

Now I can decide to update Ridgeline to version 4.1 and work with SNMPv3 or start from the beginning to get my BDs working again with SNMPv2 in conjunction with Ridgline 3.1

jackmikel
New Contributor
I checked the access-profiles, but they didn't changed and are still there.
Even a "conf snmp access-profile none" on the BDs doesn't help.
Have to concentrate on Ridgeline 3.1 and the BDs in conjunction with XOS-Version 15.5.3.4 v1553b4-patch1-6. Maybe itā€™s an internal problem of Ridgeline 3.1, who knows?
Netsight 6.1 has no problems to contact the BDs via snmpv2.
Meanwhile Iā€™m engaged with snmpv3.
And with Netsight 6.1 it's working fine, I can discover and manage the BDX8 and the BD8810.

With Ridgeline 3.1 I can discover the devices with snmpv3 (auth: md5, priv: des), but after a while in the syslog there are entries: "MSM-A: Login failed through SNMPv3 - not in life time"
What does "not in life time" mean??

Stephen_Stachal
New Contributor
They should be but also verify the files are on both MSM-A and B if you are running redundant MSMs

"telnet msm b or a"

GTM-P2G8KFN