cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Start XMC scripts or workflows via NAC Notifications" or NetSight "Alarms Manager"

Start XMC scripts or workflows via NAC Notifications" or NetSight "Alarms Manager"

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello,

is there a way to start scripts (Python!) or workflows created via XMC triggered by NAC "Notifications" or Netsight "Alarms manager"?

I know I can start every script/executable in the file system and the python scripts are stored in the file system. But if I start these files directly I have to handle myself the "Device Selection" for the correct device the script should run against.
I hope there is a smoother way to do that because that's a normal scenario:

• Something happens on a device (like port goes down)
  • Alarms manager detects this issue
  • Alarms manager starts a script to fix it
In Workflows there is a "Signal" element in the Events category. But It's not clear for me whether the signal is something from outside or a event within the workflow.
For me the event is from outside (example port down on an arbitrary switch in XMC).

Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan
14 REPLIES 14

Hi Zdenek,

I tried this and it doesn't work.

If I run the workflow by selecting my device (from the Tasks > Workflow menu itself) the workflow "works" (so no wrong cli command or so).

If I setup my notification, I get the following error: "no compatible devices found.".

Any Idea on how to solve this? It seems that XMC/control doesn't recognize the switch as an EXOS or something like that?

kind regards,

Jasper

Hi,

the workflow can be executed for non-exos switch the same way as on exos switch. what is the workflow you are trying to execute/start by notification?

have you tried to check why the workflow does fail?

Z.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Hi Zdenek,

just adding NSI's to some VLAN's using CLI commands on an EXOS (x450-g2, running 22.6.x).
The worklof/script works if you run it, using notifitcation it doesn't.

What kind of debug logging do I need to enable to view the actual error? Because in the 'events' I only see this "error": no compatible devices found.

Kind regards,

Jasper

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
Three steps:
1. configure your workflow to be executable from menu "Access Control Events"
2. configure Notification to use your workflow
3. you need XMC 8.2.1.

Regards Zdeněk Pala

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hmmmmm,

there is an "Action" in the Notification manager pointing in the right direction.

5fe8e9610c244df19e7529a98dc98487_RackMultipart20181030-58806-1j9c4mk-image_inline.png

But I can't select select anything in the dropdown even I created an Workflow as "Saved Task" in XMC. Maybe this windows is further on than the code behind it, because I still use the 8.1.4.40.

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN