cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topology Layer attribute

Topology Layer attribute

vandermause
New Contributor III

When configuring a device in Site Engine, there is a selection field titled "Topology Layer".  There you can classify what type of device it is.  Is this only a reporting feature or organizational feature or is there more to it?  Can this be used to limit what roles can view these devices?  Maybe a custom role can edit a certain type of device, but not others.  Also, could you secure a type of device with code limitations?  Maybe make it impossible for a Layer 2 switch to create a Layer 3 interface?  If anyone has any insight to this, it would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Robert_Haynes
Extreme Employee

The "Topology Layer" function has been deprecated and the field as it is shown is for informational purposes only, if set - and defaults to "L2 Access".

There is no other use for this field's information and it can not be used for any function you noted in your request.

The means to limit a role or Authorization Group to Device Mapping can be found under Administration -> Profiles -> Device Mapping (lower pane). You can set varying Authorization Groups (Administration -> Users -> Authorization Groups) and set varying permissions for users against those devices.

... but I do not believe anything L2 / L3 savvy as you're requesting.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

vandermause
New Contributor III

Thank you both..

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee

I saw customers were using it for workflow targeting. Example: the workflow will choose all L2 access devices or only L3 core devices.

Regards Zdeněk Pala

Robert_Haynes
Extreme Employee

The "Topology Layer" function has been deprecated and the field as it is shown is for informational purposes only, if set - and defaults to "L2 Access".

There is no other use for this field's information and it can not be used for any function you noted in your request.

The means to limit a role or Authorization Group to Device Mapping can be found under Administration -> Profiles -> Device Mapping (lower pane). You can set varying Authorization Groups (Administration -> Users -> Authorization Groups) and set varying permissions for users against those devices.

... but I do not believe anything L2 / L3 savvy as you're requesting.

GTM-P2G8KFN