Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMC/Switches (EXOS) - Topology/Sites/Maps - Recommendations/best practice

XMC/Switches (EXOS) - Topology/Sites/Maps - Recommendations/best practice

kaare_t
New Contributor III

Hello all,

We’ve just recently purchased XMC, I’m currently configuring everything and I’m not sure what would be the best approach regarding sites/maps. For now, we are only polling our EXOS switches (X440/X440-G2/X620/ISW). We don’t have a large logical network and everything is on the same physical location (however our physical location is spread on an area of appr. 90000 sqm). Logically we are “one site”.

We have two central rooms with 10Gbit links inside and in-between (all redundant using 2-tier MLAG):

1. Serverrom-1 (Office)
  2. Serverrom-2 (Factory)

Spread out on our site we also have:

1. Appr. 8 locations with X440/X440-G2 switches for various departments (some 2-tier MLAG)
  2. 22 industrial switches (ISW) in the factory itself (all connected to Serverrom-2 MLAG ports)

I’ve tried understanding how the “Sites/Maps” work in XMC, but I’m not exactly sure what would be the best approach. Our main-goal with using the Sites/Maps is to get a better visual overview. Should I start with logical Sites/Maps, or physical Sites/Maps? With the small amount of switches we have, would it be better to just create one “large” map that handles all switches (possibly except the ISW)? Or should I create maps for each physical location on our site?

Are there advantages of creating “many” maps?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

kaare,

You are talking about switches => you can create topology maps only.

The other type of maps is floor plans used for wifi coverage.

Topology map as his name says is a topology => physical view with switches and port numbers.

The golden rule for maps is: if it is good for you, it is good. That’s it.

I personally use multiple maps when there are different physical locations and create a WAN map showing the global routers/switches interconnecting the sites.

Regards,

Mig

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

kaare_t
New Contributor III

Hi Miguel,

I’m so sorry for my insanely late reply!! Not sure why, but the e-mail notification from the community slipped my eyes…

Thanks for the clarification/confirmation, you are spot-on! I kind of figured this out on my own last week, but it’s nice to know that my testing is the correct/only way. For me it all got easier once I figured out that a device can be present i multiple maps (like you are writing).

Thanks again.

All the best!

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

kaare,

You are talking about switches => you can create topology maps only.

The other type of maps is floor plans used for wifi coverage.

Topology map as his name says is a topology => physical view with switches and port numbers.

The golden rule for maps is: if it is good for you, it is good. That’s it.

I personally use multiple maps when there are different physical locations and create a WAN map showing the global routers/switches interconnecting the sites.

Regards,

Mig

GTM-P2G8KFN