cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerohive/ExtremeCloudIQ VLAN issues

Aerohive/ExtremeCloudIQ VLAN issues

rkowals
New Contributor III
I have multiple VLANS running on my network, but I'm not able to connect a laptop via WiFi to a specific VLAN for that device, it's on it's own subnet and uses a static IP for both LAN and WAN connections.  It connects fine on the LAN.  I do a VLAN Probe and the only available VLANS are 3 and 9, the other VLANS show as unavailable.  AP's Default and Management VLAN are set in the AP template, and the Allowed VLANS are set tp all.
4 REPLIES 4

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
If the VLAN probe doesn't see a VLAN as active, that means it did not get a response from a DHCP server on that VLAN, and will therefore consider the VLAN to be unavailable for new clients to connect to. When you connect the laptop to the VLAN in question, are you setting the IP and DNS information for the laptop before you try to connect it? Are you able to run a client monitor while trying to connect the device to the VLAN in questions?

rkowals
New Contributor III
Sam,

I use a static IP for the VLAN in question, DNS is also manually entered in the wifi properties.  If I follow the Client Monitor process, the MAC address isn't found, since I'm not connecting to the VLAN.  If I look at the Network Policies> Wireless Network, and I'm just seeing the default VLAN .  see attached.

rkowals
New Contributor III
Would it be best to create a VLAN group for all my VLANs?

MikeC
Extreme Employee
Hello,

You can use classification within a single VLAN object to assign correct VLAN depending on a number of categories. The functionality of this is basically the same as using client classification in the SSID settings to assign different user profiles that will apply different VLANs. 

In most cases a client device like a laptop will attempt to pull DHCP from whatever the switchport has defined as the default or native VLAN.

Let me know if this answers your question or if you need further clarification on anything.

-Mike Coughlin
GTM-P2G8KFN