cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concurrent authenticaton: MAC-Based & CWP Voucher baed under the same SSID, possible/best practice?

Concurrent authenticaton: MAC-Based & CWP Voucher baed under the same SSID, possible/best practice?

GuenterP
New Contributor
Hi all,

I would like to create a guest network ssid for permanent (MAC-Based) users but also for temporary (Voucher Based) Guests.

Is this possible with ExtremeCloudIQ portal?

For Mac-Based authentication -> I created an "Open" SSID with local RADIUS "Extreme Networks RADIUS Server" -> Works fine.

But as soon as i create a CWP for vouchers with "Authentication with ExtremeCloud IQ Authentication Service" -> CWP will no bypassed  although MAC-Based authentication should success.

It looks like its not an "either" but an "and" sequence..

Best regards an thanks a lot in advance!
Guenter
2 REPLIES 2

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Guenter, thanks for reaching out here. Sorry for the slow response, I was out of the office all last week. MAC auth cuts down on a lot of the authentication features that we can use in XIQ, you are correct that the set up you've described is more of an "and" rather than an "or" workflow.

However, would PPSK work for your regular users? You could set up a PPSK SSID with multiple user groups, one user group with your typical known users and their standard passwords, and one user group for your temporary users, all under one SSID. Would that work for your network?

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your response!

Just to make sure, the goal is to have one SSID for static MAC based authentication & Temp Guest with guest vouchers..

Is that possible with "Private Pre-Shared Key"

Guest-SSID:
- User Group A with MAC-Addresses Users (in the Cloud) -> No CWP will be visible for them during connecting to SSID? (-> "EnableCWP Bypass"
- User Group B with TEMP Guest Voucher Users (in the Cloud) -> CWP visible for login?

Best regards,
Guenter
GTM-P2G8KFN