cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating different SSID schedules depending on network profiles, location, or device

Creating different SSID schedules depending on network profiles, location, or device

hackert
New Contributor

We have a Guest Network that we would like available in specific rooms all day long, but in other areas only during certain hours.  I know I can create a schedule for an SSID, but it affects the SSID in all network profiles.  I don't really want two different Guest networks, as this would be confusing to users and wouldn't allow for moving around when they are both enabled.  I am also assuming that I cannot create two SSIDs with the same name, due to the obvious problems that could cause.

Is there any way to have one Guest Network available on different schedules based on device, location, or network policy?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ash_Finch
Contributor III

Since the SSID level availability schedule doesn't have the ability to assign classification rules I think you're left with two options (that come to my mind anyway!):
1. Set the availability schedule at the user profile level, having a user profile for "all day" and then one for certain hours with a classification rule applied based on your requirements. Drawback of this is that the SSID is always broadcast, but at certain times users won't be able to connect - I forget what error they get but I don't think it's that intuitive (e.g. I don't think it says something like "you can't connect between X times", more like a generic "cannot connect to this network", but I've not used in a while so may be worth testing!).

2. You can create a separate Guest SSID with a different object name - when you create an SSID it automatically fills the broadcast name with the same as the Name (SSID) object field, but you can override this so it's the same as your original Guest SSID. The drawback is that you technically have two SSIDs and also depends what you're using (or not) for authentication as to whether it will allow roaming (or at least an automatic connection) but does give you an SSID that disappears at certain times vs method 1.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

EF
Contributor II

Maybe using supplemental CLI in those specific APs? I think this way you can override the Network Policy settings and this way you can add an schedule to the SSID directly on AP.

AreckD
Extreme Employee

Hello,

You can create two ssids with the same BSSID, but not the same SSID name. The SSID name is how they are identified within xiq, the BSSID is how they broadcast in the air (are available to clients)

You just can't use 2 of the same BSSID active on one ap at the same time.

Areck Degeneffe
Senior Associate Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks
adegeneffe@extremenetworks.com
ExtremeNetworks.com
Advance with Us™

hackert
New Contributor

I like this idea, but I have a question.  Let's say I have two SSIDs (Guest-1 and Guest-2) that both broadcast "Guest".  I will place Guest-1 on 24/7 in the guest allowed areas.  I will place Guest-2 on a schedule for the more restricted areas.  Both have a simple "Agree to the Terms" button to gain access and an IP.  Both are on the same VLAN.

If someone connected to Guest using Guest-1, and later Guest-2 fires up also broadcasting as Guest, will the user need to click to accept the terms again for this second network?  Or, seeing that they are connected to "Guest" with a viable IP, can they simply roam into Guest-2 without interruption?  This shouldn't be a problem if the user stays in one place, but it would be wonderful if they can roam.

Thanks!

Ash_Finch
Contributor III

Since the SSID level availability schedule doesn't have the ability to assign classification rules I think you're left with two options (that come to my mind anyway!):
1. Set the availability schedule at the user profile level, having a user profile for "all day" and then one for certain hours with a classification rule applied based on your requirements. Drawback of this is that the SSID is always broadcast, but at certain times users won't be able to connect - I forget what error they get but I don't think it's that intuitive (e.g. I don't think it says something like "you can't connect between X times", more like a generic "cannot connect to this network", but I've not used in a while so may be worth testing!).

2. You can create a separate Guest SSID with a different object name - when you create an SSID it automatically fills the broadcast name with the same as the Name (SSID) object field, but you can override this so it's the same as your original Guest SSID. The drawback is that you technically have two SSIDs and also depends what you're using (or not) for authentication as to whether it will allow roaming (or at least an automatic connection) but does give you an SSID that disappears at certain times vs method 1.

GTM-P2G8KFN