Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ob-Boarding without a serial number

Ob-Boarding without a serial number

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

So, I have an AP1130 that was physically installed as construction of the building was being completed.  I no longer have the box that had a sticker on it with the serial number and MAC address.  Its also in a place where I cant see the underside of the AP (I hope there is a sticker there with the serial number).

Once I hook that up to the network, will it appear in my ExtremeIQ-Pilot web interface?  or am I hosed without that serial number?

Its in a hard place to get to, so unmounting it will be a real bugger (again, I am assuming it has a sticker with the serial, right?).  It can be done, but I was hoping it will show in the interface once it has network connectivity.

can someone let me know please?

many thanks in advance,  J.

PS: sorry i cant edit the subject line… ON BOARDING… opps...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi J, it’s unlikely the AP will connect with your XIQ instance if it’s not in your device inventory, which would require the serial number. When the AP powers on it does an L2 scan first to find any on-prem instances it can connect to. Failing that, it will reach out to the redirector to see what VIQ instance it belongs to. If the AP isn’t in your inventory, it won’t have a redirector listing, and therefore won’t know where to connect. 

If you can remotely SSH in to that AP (if you can find the IP address for this AP,  you should be able to do this), you could run the command “sh hw” to find the serial number. Otherwise, it is listed on a sticker on the back of the device. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

systemscsn,

Regarding the media converter, have you looked at the models with POE built in?  Those have saved us a couple of times...

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Phew, well at least that's good news!  Thank you Sam for taking the time to reply to my question.  I appreciate that.

Best, Jason.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear it’s going to be such a pain, wish I had better news for you. It absolutely came with a sticker on the back with the serial number and MAC address, so unless someone removed it (hard to do), you should see it on the device itself. 

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

I was afraid of that (thanks Sam for replying).  This AP is a bugger.  Cant remote into it, its not online yet.  Basically its in a place that was to great a distance for cat5, so it has fiber going there.  So, I'm going to have to use a media converter, and then also use a power injector (that was the subject of a rant mine in one of the community forums here).  Plus its already mounted in a tricky spot.  So you see my issue.

Well, lets hope to God it has a sticker on the back of it.  Ill get with our facilities department, and have them unbolt it, and send me a picture of the underside.  You don't happen to know if there is a sticker on the underside of it do you?  like the AP650’s have?

thanks again, I appreciate your reply, J.

GTM-P2G8KFN