cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius Test "communication error" meaning?

Radius Test "communication error" meaning?

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

If I run a radius test I get the message - communication error

Anyone know what this means?

I’m trying to get a new external radius server (windows NPS) up and running. This server is a clone of an existing functioning server.

The server isn’t showing any logs, so it looks like nothing is even trying to authenticate.

I can ping the server IP from the AP. Other 802.1x SSIDs work on the same AP/switch, and the new server is on the same path, so it doesn’t appear to be a networking issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Unfortunately that error is a bit generic, all we can tell from that message is that we didn’t get the expected response from the Radius server. Have we confirmed the IP we’re requested from has permission to access the Radius server? If that is the case, we might want to run some Radius debugs to get a better idea of what is being rejected or dropped. I can try to go through those logs with you, but you might be better off with a technical support case for that process.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SamPirok
Community Manager

Looks like we don’t have a guide on that yet, but I’ve just requested that we make one. In the mean time, the debug commands I’d recommend are: 

_debug radiusd basic

_debug radiusd info

_debug auth all

no _debug auth info

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

I’m looking further into the server settings first. I was just curious if ECIQ could provide me additional troubleshooting details.

Is there a Radius Debug guide? I’ve never done that.

SamPirok
Community Manager

Unfortunately that error is a bit generic, all we can tell from that message is that we didn’t get the expected response from the Radius server. Have we confirmed the IP we’re requested from has permission to access the Radius server? If that is the case, we might want to run some Radius debugs to get a better idea of what is being rejected or dropped. I can try to go through those logs with you, but you might be better off with a technical support case for that process.

GTM-P2G8KFN