cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Research: How does licensing work for XIQ for a AP305C?

Research: How does licensing work for XIQ for a AP305C?

StanleyJaderson
New Contributor

I'm looking to understand the licensing model and pricing for AP305C's.

As I understand an AP305C is managed through the cloud in most cases and to be able to do that one needs a license aside from the physical AP. Management is done through the XIQ portal. Kinda like how Cisco Meraki works. 

If an MSP is using Aerohives for their business customers in their offices and an AP305C needs to be written off due to it being broken somehow, can the license be moved to a new AP305C?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There's TAC&OS which is required for support on the AP wifi functions vs XIQ management, which is linked to specific APs, but I think should transfer if the AP is RMAed. The SKU starts with 97000.

https://extr-p-001.sitecorecontenthub.cloud/api/public/content/5aa978214b424eb796d78ca7e3bd2ed4?v=6b...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

The AP's in question are lost in a renovation. That's basically what happend. So i'm trying to figure out what a fair compensation is in this case vs the quote we got from the MSP in question.

EDIT: So from what I gather after having a search on TAC&OS and understanding that part a little bit better this is how it should be when it comes to licensing.
- XIQ (functionality) license isn't link to a specific device but is needed for all devices in use. The license can be transferred over to another like for like device. AP305C broken? Get a new one and transfer/link the license to the new one.
- TAC&OS (support) license is linked to a device and needed for continues support but not needed perse. Pay as support is needed is also an option. 

Hello @StanleyJaderson,

2 different things here:

1 - In terms of XIQ device licensing. Once a device is deleted or unmanaged from XIQ, the license used by said device will be released to be used by ANY other AP model and not specifically the same model AP. Any managed AP will consume a license. This portion is not tied to a serial number. 

2 - The support contract is tied to device serial numbers. Once a device is replaced, the old serial number must be removed and the new one added to the support contract in its stead. This does not affect AP functionality in XIQ, but will allow/prevent you from receiving support for said AP should you need it. 

Makes sense?

BR,

Christoph S.

Is it possible to find the pricing somewhere of the different licenses or can that only be quoted through a reseller?

If you google 97000-AP305C-1-WR (or 97000-AP305C-1-FCC etc) you'll get some pricing, you may be able to get better through a reseller.

GTM-P2G8KFN