cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildcard domains with IP Firewall Policies

Wildcard domains with IP Firewall Policies

zachary_neely
New Contributor

Is there a way to use a wildcard domain with IP firewall filters. I am setting up an SSID that will go just to the domains needed to onboard devices onto our MDM. Instead of listed over 20 different microsoft ones. I want to use *.microsoft.com. When I try to use that the firewall still blocks it. If I put the actual domain in the IP firewall it works. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Would be very useful in certain circumstances.
Also to clarify the previous response, I believe they are referring to the IP Firewall policy in XIQ, inside the user profile settings.

Janinehoward
New Contributor

I just want to say that Some firewalls do not support wildcard domains, but there is a workaround to block specific subdomains while allowing the rest. Here are the steps: Subaru Net

1. Use a regular expression in the firewall rule to match all the subdomains of the desired domain (e.g. ^.*\.microsoft\.com$).
  2. Create another rule to block specific subdomains that you don't want to allow (e.g. ^(?!.*\.device\.microsoft\.com).*\.microsoft\.com$).

Note that the syntax of the regular expression may vary between different firewall devices, so check your device's documentation for more information.

GTM-P2G8KFN