cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ExtremeControl EAP Group Mappings, match on signing CA?

ExtremeControl EAP Group Mappings, match on signing CA?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

As of 8.5.3 ExtremeControl has the ability to use multiple RADIUS certificates using EAP Group Mappings.

The determination of those certificates is done using EAP Group Mappings via the exchange of RADIUS packets to look at User-Name, NAS-IP-Address (Switch IP) or Calling-station-id (MAC Address), as per below:

65032b70b2634f838279c5918f888c35.png
You can then use a POSIX regular expression to find a match:

99c9a85ba8d74331a596b23608a14e29.png
In my case there are two different certificate authorities, some clients will be signed by one, others will be signed by another. This is part of a migration to a new PKI. The issue here is that the only real distinction between client certificates presented to ExtremeControl will be the signing CA.

So the domain, user and NAS IP's in the RADIUS exchange are all going to be the same.

Is there a way to create a filter based on certificate signing CA, or something else I might be able to hook into to make the distinction?

Many thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II
Martin,
There should be some misunderstanding on the feature.
The EAP Group Mapping will define which certificate will be presented by the RADIUS server based on the Username/NAS-IP/MAC.
The authentication as such will be performed with the info available in the AAA config. No need to play here with the EAP Groups:
1e39095c1f3d4d09b74c98fe7b455991.png
You need the EAP Groups if the client is validating the RADIUS certificate.
The purpose is to present a specific RADIUS certificate.

I use the following use case:
I the check the Usernames like "host/computername.private-domain.local" for computer authentication and the via the EAP Group I check the username and I present a RADIUS certificate that was issued by a Root-CA available on the specific computer.
You can request the users to log-in with something like user@private-domain-local.com to ensure that you'll present an acceptable RADIUS certificate for the client.

If non of the EAP Group is matching, the default RADIUS certificate is presented
The default RADIUS is presenting a certificate from a public authority. It is usually a star certificate (for example *.public-domain.com).
I must use this because the BYOD devices do not have any Root CA from private PKI by default.
I upload this certificate in the "RADIUS Server Certificate"
63920c0ac5814a89a80eee0579083d95.png
Hope this help.

Mig
GTM-P2G8KFN