Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ExtremeControl - MAC to IP resolution question

ExtremeControl - MAC to IP resolution question

Guilhem_Lejeune
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a pure theory question here.

It seems that MAC to IP resolution is mandatory to make ExtremeControl work properly.
The most popular technic is to relay DHCP messages toward ExtremeControl and that is what I use in production.

What about a new client ? It has never been seen on the network so its hypothetical IP address is not known. Or, the lease is expired.

MAC to IP resolution cannot be done and... neither does the authentication, right ?

I have this exact use case in production. We have to plug the PC in non-NACed port in order to get through the whole DHCP process. Then, the PC is plugged in the NAC port and it works.

If we plugged the PC in the NACed port first, it does not work.

Kind regards,

5 REPLIES 5

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

@Guilhem_Lejeune wrote:

Hi,

I have a pure theory question here.

It seems that MAC to IP resolution is mandatory to make ExtremeControl work properly.

Not really, it's more like a nice-to-have feature, to see the IP of the End-Systems.

What about a new client ? It has never been seen on the network so its hypothetical IP address is not known. Or, the lease is expired.

MAC to IP resolution cannot be done and... neither does the authentication, right ?

Why shouldn't authentication be possible? Authentication shouldn't be based on the IP-Address. 802.1x is recommended, MAC-based is possible... After authentication DHCP is happening and the IP-Addressfield on NAC will be populated.

GTM-P2G8KFN