cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the mst region name--will the configuration change cascade or block spanning tree updates?

Changing the mst region name--will the configuration change cascade or block spanning tree updates?

Marcus_Florido
New Contributor
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a network setup with several hundred Enterasys switches, ranging from D series all the way up to the S series. Because of the physical topology, we've been content with using the default settings for MST, and using the default instance (IST 0) to propagate Mrecord information, which has the default configuration name of the MAC address of the root bridge. Because I need to integrate other vendor equipment, and because the network is maturing to the point where a proper MST configuration is necessary, I would like to change the configuration name of the default instance. My question is as follows:

If I change the name in the root bridge, will the change propagate to the switches below, or will that change prevent the rest of the switches from communicating with the root bridge, and force the election of a new one? In short, will I have to manually re-configure all of the switches below the root bridge?

Thank you,

Marcus
5 REPLIES 5

Simon_Vosper
New Contributor III
Marcus

Its my understanding that for MSTP to work correctly you must have 3 things that match in all switches that are participants and they are:

1) MSTP region name
2)MSTP Revision number
3) MSTP Digest (Long hex hash)

The region name and revision number is manually configurable, but the MSTP digest is made up of the all of the vlans and to which instance of MSTP you assign them to. This is also a manual configuration process. All 3 of these things MUST match in all switches before MSTP will work.

If you search the documentation store there is MSTP config help.
GTM-P2G8KFN