cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS Stack Inter-VLAN routing configuration question

EXOS Stack Inter-VLAN routing configuration question

Joe10
New Contributor III

So our main stack consists of X460G2 stack master and some X440G2 between the master and couple of more X460G2.  The system stacking is a ring  using the 460G2 vim modules and the X440G2 rear stacking ports.  The X440's also have dual 10GbE licensing.  

We have multiple servers and ExaGrid devices connected to the stack using 10GbE connections.  The Cisco router on the other hand only has a 1GbE link for the switch stack.  Its scheduled to be replaced but the network team in charge of the router won't do a 10GbE connection for the stack. So I was trying to setup inter-VLAN routing/forwarding within the stack.  But things still appear to be congesting the 1Gbe router connection.  

Basically I want our Data VLAN to cross talk to our Backup VLAN, which is were the ExaGrid devices are. Our Vendor recommended this as a best practice.  But I might find it easier to simply move them to the Data VLAN.   Both VLANs are configured and operational, traffic currently flows between them via the cisco router. 

So I configured the Backup VLAN IP Address and then ran "enable ipforwarding vlan data" and " enable ipforwarding vlan backup"  and then saved config. 

But as previously stated the traffic between then still is at 1GbE an appears to be congesting the cisco router.  

The Backup VLAN is tagged for the cisco router port and the ports that link our other between floor stacks (not currently required for this vlan)  The Backup VLAN untagged ports consists of the the Exagrid shared groups.

The Data Vlan is our primary internet VLAN. As such the Cisco router is untagged, as are all the connected servers whereas the only tagged ports are the between floor fiber connections for the other stacks.  

So this bring to me issue.  Do I need to remove the tagged cisco port on the backup vlan to resolve this issue? That's what makes sense to me at this point.  The one video demo I found does not show a router in the mix.  But the Extreme Exos tip I found that had me enable ipforwarding etc had a router in the mix an had the router port tagged on one vlan and untagged on the other.  Unfortunately I do have the link for the document as it is on my computer at home not here at work. 

I suspect the issue is that tagged router port is getting priority over the vlan forwarding option. Am I correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Joe10
New Contributor III

This document:  https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000088974   states I need to tag all vlan ports being forwarded.  If I follow this I will break our live set up.  

Subsequently I think the Exagrid will get moved to our data vlan where the rest of our devices are. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Joe10
New Contributor III

Well I am still missing something as removing the tagged router port broke the communication. 

Joe10
New Contributor III

This document:  https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000088974   states I need to tag all vlan ports being forwarded.  If I follow this I will break our live set up.  

Subsequently I think the Exagrid will get moved to our data vlan where the rest of our devices are. 

GTM-P2G8KFN