cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HostDoS[8] Attack ( arpNd ) detected on vlan

HostDoS[8] Attack ( arpNd ) detected on vlan

Sandeep_Rajguru
New Contributor
I have enterasys S8 switch and found following log on the switch. we have found many no of SA mac addressees in the logs.

HostDoS[8] Attack ( arpNd ) detected on vlan.0.6 [ InPort(ge.8.27) LEN(64) DA(FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) SA(00:1C:C4:54:EC:25) ETYPE(0806) ]

how should i identify the exact loophole, we have not implemented and configured ipv6 in the network.

3 REPLIES 3

Mike_D
Extreme Employee

Hello Martin, Sandeep,

The arpNd hostdos log entry is tripped by a single device sending more than 3 arps (or neighbor discovery packets) in <.5 seconds.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/K-S-7100-Series-What-constitutes-host-dos-ARP...

The action taken is this: That SA is put in the penalty box for a short period of time. The router will not process arps (nor nd...) for this end station during this period.
After the time interval has passed, traffic is again allowed from that source address. If still misbehaving, back to jail.
No penalty in the traditional sense of course - The client doesn't know and doesn't care about the steps taken by the router. It's about protecting functional capacity on the router.

Then we're back to the original question from Sandeep:
so what's going on?
Understanding the criteria for the arp/nd attack flag gives you a single piece of data. You need more. The messaging itself is descriptive enough. It might be all you will need: vlan, port, mac; the location and address of the offending end station.
Or - understanding context may still be a stretch.

How the network arrives at this point is a broad topic; I won't be covering it in detail here. With a little luck, a few thoughts will allow you to put still more puzzle pieces in place.

Naturally, this event may be an attack. Maybe nefarious activity on the part of a user - or some other presence on your trusted network. It may be something as simple as glitchy equipment may be responsible. Maybe a bad piece of hardware rapidly sending arp, or a nic driver sending high rates of neighbor discovery or arp (seen in power save mode), maybe a L2 loop, maybe a security scan tool running. We've encountered each of these in gtac.
I'm sure there are other circumstances we haven't yet seen that result in replication of - or repeating of - broadcast and/or multicast traffic.

Let us know how it turns out Gents

Regards,
Mike

MartinS1
New Contributor
We have the same issue with 2 different customers!
SSA HostDoS[1] and S8 Chassis HostDoS[4]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Out of interest, where a lot of these SA mac addresses logged against the same port? - assume you have considered implementing antispoofing to close the loophole?

GTM-P2G8KFN