cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I regain ssh/console access to Enterasys S6?

How do I regain ssh/console access to Enterasys S6?

Clovens_Rateau
New Contributor
Hi, I lost console and ssh access to the an Enterasys S6. I keep on getting this error message "Master Console in use". Someone suggested that I press the enter key multiple times and the error message would go away, that didn't work. Have any of you experience something like this? I would not want to reboot the device, it plays a really important role in the network.
4 REPLIES 4

Clovens_Rateau
New Contributor
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. I had to reboot the S6.

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
Hello,

Device console/remote console management issues can be a little tricky.
In addition to the previous answers, I'll add the following - hope it helps.

If switch management is unresponsive due to a temporary CPU starvation condition, use local console and hit ctrl-d (similarly noted by Paul) a few times to request high priority login. note - this approach does not work via ssh or telnet, you need a direct connection.
The elevated priority access method allows issue management under stress/fault conditions such as a DOS attack or network loop.

one other item comes to mind: If all ssh access hangs (see release note fixes), a reset of the currently elected system management blade - identified by lit mgmt led - is normally enough to free these stuck sessions.

regards
Mike

Paul_Poyant
New Contributor III
Under discussion is a "
code:
Master console in use on another board.
" message in response to an attempted console session.

This has been reported on a S-Series bonded system in which a console session was already open on one chassis and a fresh session was attempted on the second. The resolution there was to close out the initial console session on the first chassis.

It's also been observed on a S-Series system - occurring for unknown reason - and resolved by rebooting the system.

For the N-Series this can occur in apparent response to some improperly interpreted keystrokes during a management session. The resolution there is to issue a "
code:
Ctrl-D
" key sequence.

If none of that is helpful in this particular situation, then I suggest you open a GTAC Support case for more directed assistance.

If you have lost snmp and console access as well then the problem may be related to the one documented in this article.

Title: S-Series no longer responding to SSH/SNMP/Console
Article Link: http://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/S4-no-longer-responding-to-SSH-SNMP-Conso...

GTM-P2G8KFN