cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main difference between EXOS 16.2.x and EXOS 21.1x?

Main difference between EXOS 16.2.x and EXOS 21.1x?

Xperia_Go
New Contributor II
Hello to the community,

Usually for my hardware there are two suggestion EXOS 16.2.2.4 or EXOS 21.1.3.7 (http://www.extremenetworks.com/extreme-hardwaresoftware-compatibility-recommendation-matrices/softwa...)

But, what are the main differences between these two line of version? Is it 16.2.x more stable that 21.1.x? There are commands that exists in one version or another? From which can I profit more power for my hardware, or is not related...

I am looking for some EXOS documentation where I can see the explanation of this two lines of version, I know there is the Release Notes for each one, but beside of that, is there another document that centralizes the differences, advantages, features etc of both?.

Thanks in advanced for any reply.

Ps:
My hardware;
X670-G2
X770
X460-G2

8 REPLIES 8

James_A
Valued Contributor
16.x runs on all the older model switches, so if you've got both old and new models and prefer to run the same version on everything, go with that. But since you have only new models, I would run 21.x, it has more features and will get more active development over time.

BradP
Extreme Employee
Hi Xperia Go,

The best place to look for differences (feature wise) is the release notes for those versions. Features will be added in the major and minor revisions (major.minor.sustaining-release.build). Generally speaking, when the third number increments, that is going to increase the stability as that is where fixes generally get put into code. There will be some fixes going into minor version increases, but features will also be added in minor version increases. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Brad

Mel78__CISSP__E
New Contributor III
I think its better to get 22.2 for your X460-G2. You get free adv-edge license upgrade. Meaning you can run MLAG (edge lic) with VRRP (adv-edge lic).

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
21.x.x should be used for the G2 devices moving forward. I think it's a better train of code and will have more enhancements to Policy / STP / NodeAlias etc... Well, that might be in version 22.xx. But, I have stayed away from 16.xx code. I felt it had some major issues. We are running 22.1.1.5 with success.
GTM-P2G8KFN