cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portenable

portenable

Curtis_Parish1
New Contributor III
Can someone elaborate on the following command? Below is all that I can find in the documentation. i know portadmin determines if a port processes BDBPs but what does portenable do?

set spantree portenable

Use this command to set the port status on one or more Spanning Tree ports.
7 REPLIES 7

Curtis_Parish1
New Contributor III
"disables Spanning Tree on that port while also preventing traffic from being transmitted - but not preventing it from being received. "

Thanks, that is one unusual command. It bit me when I unintentionally used portenable instead of portadmin.

Paul_Poyant
New Contributor III
The following information is from a legacy KB article, and is being ported to a new GTAC Knowledge article. These commands operate on the 7100/S/N/K-Series products.

The 'set spantree portadmin {enable | disable}' command will enable/disable the Spanning Tree protocol on a per-port basis as long as STP is globally enabled (this is the default). If per-port spantree portadmin is disabled, any received BPDUs will be discarded and no BPDUs will be transmitted out this port. This command has no effect if STP is globally disabled ('set spantree stpmode none').

The 'set spantree portenable {enable | disable}' command will prohibit data traffic from being switched. However, operMAC will stay up and the port will still indicate link. Higher layer entities can still process traffic; but the traffic won't be learned/forwarded. If you want to shut the port down completely, you would instead use 'set port disable'.
Note: There is no practical application that isn't met equally well using the 'set port disable' command, which engages the ifMIB to disable the interface. The spanning tree command is an artifact of an earlier time.
GTM-P2G8KFN