Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN Tagging Question v.s Untagged Traffic

VLAN Tagging Question v.s Untagged Traffic

Will_Hou
New Contributor
Hi there,

I am new to Extreme switching ( Enterasys B5k Switch) with my new gig, please help.

Here it's the scope of what issue we are having & what we need to accomplish:

Our switch stack passing through couple vlan tagged traffic ( V10 & V100), but we have a 3rd party threat scanner (physical gear) is not VLAN aware (all vlan tagged traffic are dropped).

We already tried create a port mirror on another switch & passing the traffic through, still not working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Will_Hou
New Contributor
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the tips. i have found the root cause for our issue - spanning Tree configuration was the one causing the Check Server not able to see the traffic.

Once I put in cisco Switch in the middle as jumper with generic vlan created, everything worked.

Thanks again.

Will

Paul_Poyant
New Contributor III
It is likely that you will be able to get this working without resorting to mirroring to a VLAN - which I will state as being "somewhat" unsupported in the conventional sense. Some SecureStack models - including the B5-Series - do support "
code:
VLAN marking of mirrored traffic - Edge only
" which can have the effect of VLAN mirroring.

You may or may not find it to be useful here, noting that a key element is the (optional) VLAN-tagging of mirrored traffic. As desired, configuration guidelines are in Hub Article 10518, "G/C5/C3/B5/B3-Series Considerations for Use of Remote Port Mirroring".

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the awesome tips! I will definitely explore that option with the support. It just troubles me that this wont' work with this simple setup which I could get it done with Cisco very quickly.

thank You

Kees__Kevin
Extreme Employee
Hi Will,
If you simply want to egress multiple vlans out a specific port, untagged, it looks like the B5's will let you do that:
set vlan egress 10,100 ge.1.34 untagged

If this doesn't work out, you may be able to mirror the traffic to a vlan and egress that vlan untagged to your threat scanner.

Hope this helps

GTM-P2G8KFN