cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XOS versus EOS configuration file

XOS versus EOS configuration file

Eric_Jackson
New Contributor
Please forgive my ignorance, as I'm new to XOS, having used EOS for years. I'm trying to grasp the way XOS handles it config file and compare it to Enterasys (EOS) but I can't seem to grasp some concepts. Hopefully I can explain clearly enough so that someone can "translate" for me.

Coming from years of experience in the EOS world, when I enter a command in EOS (spanning-tree for example), I can run the command "show config spantree" to see the commands I've entered or "show config all spantree" to see what I've entered plus what the defaults are behind the scenes. When I do this for XOS, i don't think I'm getting the same results. Using the same commands with regards to spanning tree in XOS, I run the command "show configuration stp", this seems to mimic EOS and show me only what I've configured. However, lets say I then remove a command. The command seems to be removed, essentially setting it back to default because I don't see it when I run "show configuration stp". Yet, it is still there when I run "show configuration detail stp" but in the "reverse state" if that makes since. Shouldn't it be gone from both, since I set it back to defaults? For example, I entered the command in XOS "enable stpd s0 ports 1:1". This created a line in my config. When I remove it running "disable stpd "s0" ports 1:1", the command no longer appears when I run "show configuration stp" but is somehow still there when I run "show configuration stp detail". Since I set it back to the default, shouldn't that line be gone from both? I'm really confused by this.
12 REPLIES 12

Ok, after running this experiment it appears as though quite a few things change behind the scenes. Specifically this is added:

So I guess simply "undoing" something doesn't really undo it. However this could get frustrating if you ever want to go back to a "base" configuration.

Actually, I just realized that wasn't the XML. I try again and let you know what I find.

Drew I did as you suggested. I uploaded a new switches "primary.cfg" to a tftp server. I then entered "enable stpd s0 port 1". I saved the config. I then entered "disable stpd s0 port 1". I then saved the config and uploaded it. I compared the two configs and the only difference was on the 2nd config it had these extra lines:

configure sys-recovery-level switch resetconfigure vlan default delete ports all
configure vr VR-Default delete ports 1-54
configure vr VR-Default add ports 1-54
configure ports 49 auto off speed 10000 duplex full
configure ports 50 auto off speed 10000 duplex full
configure ports 51 auto off speed 10000 duplex full
configure ports 52 auto off speed 10000 duplex full
configure ports 53 auto off speed 10000 duplex full
configure ports 54 auto off speed 10000 duplex full
configure vlan Default add ports 1-54 untagged

None of this seems to relate to STP. However, when I run "show config stp detail" I see the line "disable stp s0 port 1".

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
The only way to know exactly what changed is to take a look at the XML config. That's something I'll try to get to in the next few days to see if I can find out why your
code:
disable
shows up there. I'm betting a configuration for s0 doesn't actually exist at all until you
code:
enable
or
code:
disable
it. It now exists in a defined state and can be seen in
code:
show config stp detail
. This tells us that something has changed, even if it's back to the expected default behavior.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Can see where this would be very confusing and really had to get used to. Here is how we set up all our XOS switches to track who does what where. Enable cli logging on all of them. This will record every command any one makes via a cli session. Enable syslog and run a good syslog server. This gives the ability to go back and do searches for configuration changes and who did what when. Use netsight to manage your backup configurations. We upload these every night from all switches... 1600 takes about 15 or 20 minutes total.. keep configs for your comfort level and if you need to restore and replace a bad switch you have the config if you need to go back a few days and see if something got changed you can use your syslog or the archived config to look and see.
GTM-P2G8KFN