cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast on ERS

Multicast on ERS

Configterminal
New Contributor III

Hello I have two PC's connected to an ERS 4950 switch, on the same VLAN.  I am attempting to test multicast functionality but it doesn't seem to be working.  This switch is purely an L2 switch and both laptops are Windows 10 laptops on the same VLAN.  From my understanding the receiver should be able to receive the stream from the sender without any L3 settings.  I am using VLC media player to btw.

This is the only configuration pertaining to multicast:

interface vlan xxx
ip igmp snooping
ip igmp send-query
ip igmp version 3
exit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great. If the switch is just running in normal mode and Layer 2 the ONLY command you need the in VLAN is "ip igmp snooping"

If that isn't working concentrate on your VLC settings and your laptops.

The source of truth will be the output from "SHOW IP IGMP GROUPS" command.  if you don't see any groups the issue is with your laptops and the multicast emulating software.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Google for "NORTEL MC HAMMER".    

Are you running your ERS in normal mode or SPBm mode?

Normal mode but I think the issue is just the laptops blocking multicast.  Thanks for the input 

Great. If the switch is just running in normal mode and Layer 2 the ONLY command you need the in VLAN is "ip igmp snooping"

If that isn't working concentrate on your VLC settings and your laptops.

The source of truth will be the output from "SHOW IP IGMP GROUPS" command.  if you don't see any groups the issue is with your laptops and the multicast emulating software.

Configterminal
New Contributor III

any idea where I can get MC hammer, its impossible to find.  Another question, if igmp snooping is enabled doesn't there need to be a querier on that VLAN?  The uplink from the ERS which is purely L2 is a VSP where the L3 lives which is running SPBM.  If I understand correctly the VLAN interface can either have "ip spb-multicaste enable" or "ip igmp snooping" + querier configured.  The thing is, since my L3 interface is in a vrf that doesn't have an i-sid associated with it, I don't think "ip spb-multicast" will work (am I correct in thinking this).  Heres the output from show ip igmp interface vrf xxx

command:==============================================================================================================
Igmp Interface - VRF vrf-028032-usrdt
==============================================================================================================
QUERY OPER QUERY WRONG LASTMEM SCOPE
IF INTVL STATUS VERS. VERS QUERIER MAXRSPT QUERY JOINS ROBUST QUERY MODE L2ISID ISID

V111 125 inact 3 3 0.0.0.0 100 0 0 2 10 routed-spb 111000 0

interface Vlan xxx
vrf xxx
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32
ip directed-broadcast enable
ip spb-multicast enable
ip igmp upnp-filter
ip igmp version 3

ip igmp access-list "upnp_mc_drop_239" 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 deny-both

ip dhcp-relay
exit

GTM-P2G8KFN