cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing faulty ERS-4950GTS in a stack of two. Is it impossible without interupting 2nd switch?

Replacing faulty ERS-4950GTS in a stack of two. Is it impossible without interupting 2nd switch?

joshross28
New Contributor II

Hey Everyone,

I have some maintenance to take care of soon. Historically, we have found it easiest to boot default and reconfigure stacks of two because of the stack of 1 election that takes place once you remove either base or slave in a stack of two.

I'm working in a Healthcare environment where powering down switches/defaulting are less than desirable options especially having to do this on a switch that's currently working.

Is there really no way to replace a switch in a stack of two that doesn't require a reboot of the working switch? My solution for replacing a slave in a stack of two is to add the replacement switch as a 3rd switch in the stack then remove switch two after migrating devices to switch 3. This is not as easy with a base switch that needs replaced.

Just making sure there's nothing I'm missing here.

1 REPLY 1

TQU
New Contributor III

Hi Josh, 

Of course you can ! I do it many time. 

Here you can find more information about stack operations, base unit replacement included. 

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000086890

With your method, how do you proceed to switch the new device as base unit ?

regards, 

Théo  

GTM-P2G8KFN