cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5520 switch 1000BT GBIC in 5520-VIM-4X wont link

5520 switch 1000BT GBIC in 5520-VIM-4X wont link

Keith9
Contributor III

I put a 1000BASE-T SFP (FS.com Extreme encoded) that usually works without hesitation in X450G2 switches in a new 5520 switch.  This would be port 1:57.

I connected a cable to an ethernet handoff and get no link.  sh port 1:57 does not show any link at all.  

The reason I’m using this is to keep the face ports (1 to 48) free for endpoints and I was going to use the VIM-4X for uplinks.

Any reason why this module works fine on a 450G2 but not a 5520 on EXOS 31.1.3?

It sees it according to the log

Slot-1: Media 1000T is inserted into Port 1:57

I even tried a cisco one, it sees that one too according to the log, but I can’t establish a link.

Port     Display              VLAN Name           Port  Link  Speed  Duplex                                                                                                 #        String               (or # VLANs)        State State Actual Actual                                                                                                 ===========================================================================                                                                                                 1:57                          Default             E     R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@Keith Correct, What “works” and what is “validated” are two different things. I have seen folks do some “creative” things with our switches over the years.  I wish I could give you an answer but at this time I need to abide with the same tools the public uses.    

You are best to follow up with your local Extreme SE. Have them reach into PLM.  If you don’t know your SE you can DM me and I can help you out.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Keith9
Contributor III

Ok I have them in 1:57 and 2:57.  No vlans on them, good proactive practice there….

connected a crossover cable between the two, with a live sh ports 1:57,2:57 on screen, its showing no link.

Just for the heck of it, I connected a regular straight through cat6a cable.  Still no link.

I guess the VIM-4X only supports 10gbe SFP+ ports, even though EXOS sees the insertion and removal of regular  gig SFP’s?

Think this would be able to be fixed in software?

Keith9
Contributor III

Yeah but the problem is this:
* (CIT_31.1.1.3) Slot-1  # configure ports 1:57 auto off speed 1000 duplex full
Error: Auto negotiation off is not supported on port 1:57.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

What you could try: 
Plug two Gbit SFPs in the 5520 and plug a cable directly between the SFPs. This causes a loop, so remove all VLANs from the ports. Then you will see if it works. 🙂 

Keith9
Contributor III

Will this be able to be resolved in software?  I have enough ports (96 face ports plus 8 VIM).  I just really liked to standardize our ISP uplinks on SFP modules on the extra ports.  That frees up all face ports for end-user equipment.  Our other sites running Cisco 3750X or EXOS 460G2’s work great in this manner. 

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

I had the exact same problems with an X695! Link on the remote side, no link on X695 (Solution: 1 GbE link fails to come up on X695 switch when autonegotiation is enabled on the peer swi...)

As Paul mentioned it seems not to be official supported on the VIMs - but in my experience this doesn’t mean that it isn’t working at all. I got many SFPs running, that aren’t supportet according to the optics tool. Maybe I’m wrong this time… 🙂 

GTM-P2G8KFN