Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5720-48MXW QSFP28 Universal port numbers and configuration

5720-48MXW QSFP28 Universal port numbers and configuration

Ken_Applebaum
New Contributor III

Hi,

This is my first time working with the 5720-48MXW switch. What I want to achieve is creating an mlag between two unstacked 5720-48MXW switches using both QSFP28 Universal ports on each switch. These are not fabric enabled. They are managed locally on our CIQ-SE, and are running Universal Platform Switch Engine 32.7.1.9 (onie-32.7.1.9.x86_64.xos).

My first issue is that I am not sure what the port numbers are for ports labeled U1 & U2 on the outside of the switch. When I run show ports, after the 48 copper ports, these are the other ports that are listed:

49:1 E NP
49:2 E NP
49:3 E NP
49:4 E NP
50:1 E NP
50:2 E NP
50:3 E NP
50:4 E NP
51:1 E R
51:2 E NP
51:3 E NP
51:4 E NP
52:1 E R
52:2 E NP
52:3 E NP
52:4 E NP
59 VM-59 E A 10G FULL

Since the ports are not partitioned by default, I am making an assumption that ports 51:1 & 52:1 (bolded above) are the QSFP28 Universal ports since they are present and ready, and that they are not the stacking ports (we do have VIMs installed, but these will not be stacked). Am I correct with this assumption? I am also making an assumption that 51:2, 51:3, 51:4 and 52:2, 52:3 & 52:4 would become  present if the ports were partitioned. Again, am I correct?

That leaves me wondering what ports 49:1 > 49:4 are on this switch, as well as 59 VM-59 E A 10G FULL. Does anyone know this?

My other issue is how to configure these ports. I have two 5720-48MXW switches. I plugged the Extreme 100GB direct attach cable (100G-AOC-QSFP10M-TA) to ports U1 of both switches, but the port does not light up. Nothing has been configured for these ports yet, but I would think that the port light would be active.

If anyone has experience with configuring the QSFP28 ports, your guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi @Ken_Applebaum 

out of the box these ports are only usable for stacking. In order to use them as normal ethernet port issue "disable stacking-support" on both switches and reboot. The ports that are currently marked as NP (not present) will become R (ready).

More information:

Switch Engine User Guide (extremenetworks.com)

ExtremeSwitching 5720 Series Hardware Installation Guide (extremenetworks.com)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi @Ken_Applebaum 

out of the box these ports are only usable for stacking. In order to use them as normal ethernet port issue "disable stacking-support" on both switches and reboot. The ports that are currently marked as NP (not present) will become R (ready).

More information:

Switch Engine User Guide (extremenetworks.com)

ExtremeSwitching 5720 Series Hardware Installation Guide (extremenetworks.com)

Thank you Stefan!!!!!

I find it odd that I did not find that info in either the cli guide, hardware install guide or any KBs on the extreme site. Either I just missed it, or it is something that Extreme needs to document better. 

Either way, you helped me get past a roadblock, and I can finish configuring these switches and get them deployed.

Thanks,

Ken

It's all somewhere, but sometimes it's hard to find, yes. The first link that I posted links to the page where it is described (under "Stacking Ports"). For other models there are KB-Articles, e.g.: How To: Universal 5420: How to enable port U1 and U2 | Extreme Portal (site.com) 

And if you google it now, you will find this thread, so for the future, people will have it easy. 😂

GTM-P2G8KFN