Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add new node to stack

Add new node to stack

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 9 2012 3:03PM

Is the process of adding a new node to a stack disruptive? Will it cause downtime?
IS it possible to downgrade the firmware on a switch to match the version in the stack?
Can you confirm that this is the correct procedure to add the new node?

1)Make sure the Summitstack cards is inserted in Slot B

2)Verify the new node is running the same ExtremeXOS software version by using the show switch command

3)Verify the new node is running on the same image (prmary or secondary) that the stack is running on using the show switch command

4)Use the enable stacking command to enable stacking

5) Type show stacking to get the node address

6)To configure a unigue slot number for the switch type configure stacking node-address (Node address from step 5) slot-number (slot number next in stack)

7)To assign the new switch as a member type the following configure stacking node-address (Node address from step 5) license-level edge

8)Connect to new switch to the stack using the stacking cable

Disconnect port 2 in the last node

Connect port 1 of the new node to port 2 of the last node

Connect port 2 of the new node to port 1 of the first node

9)type the following command on the new switch to reboot reboot

10)Log into the stack master node before entering the next command

Synchronize stacking node-address (Node address from step 5)

Reboot node-address (Node address from step 5)

11)Once the new node is rebooted type the following command to view the stack

Show stacking

You should see the new node listed as active

(from Vince_MacNeil)
6 REPLIES 6

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 29 2012 3:56AM

Ideally, the addition of a new node to a stack should be non-disruptive. However it is not always the case. Can you possibly do a show stacking and ensure that the stack topology is a ring. I generally enable the stacking before adding the new node in and set the slot number and priority. Also for the licensing you have indicated that it is not showing. Have you implemented any license level restriction for your stack. What is a sh license giving you. Can you possibly share the output from a show slot as well. Is the switch even being recognized. Should happen automatically. You have already indicated that you are maintaing fireware consistency across nodes. You may need to execute a synchronize stack and reboot stack-topology from the master node. I hope this helps. (from Anush_Santhanam)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 24 2012 7:38PM

hello vmacneil

Can you post the current show stacking config and show stacking detail and the show version on the new switch?

Thanks

P (from Paul_Russo)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 24 2012 1:30PM

I tried the commands suggested and none work correctly. I have assigned the new switch the next node number. Attached the cables and rebooted but the switch does not show up in the stack. I am unable to run the synchronize node because it does not recognize the mac address. When I run the show stacking command the new node does not show up. I tried removing the the edge license config because none of the current switches in the stack show any licenses.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

(from Vince_MacNeil)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 11 2012 11:14PM

Yes after then reboot that node only.

P (from Paul_Russo)
GTM-P2G8KFN