cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assign the same ip address to two different vlans on two different switches

assign the same ip address to two different vlans on two different switches

Morgan__Bud__Ro
New Contributor
I have two x250e-48p switches in bldg A using vlan Alpha and one in bldg B using vlan Beta.

The two in bldg A (sw1A & sw2A ) are not stacked but connected by a cat5 cable connecting ports 48 on each. The vlan Alpha is the same but each switch has it's own vlan ip address.(1.1.1.1/24 & 1.1.2.1/24) respectfully.

When sw1A failed we moved the cable connecting bldg2 sw1B from sw1A port 47 to sw1B port 47,. Both ports are members of vlan Alpha and tagged for vlan Beta but machines in sw1B could not route to anything in the vlan Alpha.

I'm thinking I have a route issue that I cannot resolve. Perhaps a making the switches in BldgA is the best or only solution?

Can someone suggest a way to make physically moving the cable work?

8 REPLIES 8

Curtis_Parish1
New Contributor III
The two networks still need a router so one of your remaining switches will need to be configured as a router if you want to communicate between the two VLANs.

Morgan__Bud__Ro
New Contributor
yes, but there is only the two networks.

Curtis_Parish1
New Contributor III
Was the switch that failed also doing your routing?

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Bud,

Based on what you put hear it appears there are more VLANs involved. The two IP addresses are in different VLANs. Unfortunately there is not enough information to provide you with an exact answer. Can you give us a topology, "show iproute" and some more VLAN information. We would need this information from all 3 switches to make an accurate recommendation.

Thanks!
GTM-P2G8KFN