cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic routing question

basic routing question

Robin_Minshall1
New Contributor
I have VLAN configured with no routing on my Extreme network core (very basic network). the Vlans are routed on the gateway which is our UTM appliance (handles WAN/ VPN public traffic etc).

I would like to create a new set of VLANs on the core with routing handled by the core. so clients on those VLANS would have the VLAN IP as the gateway (i think??). how do i then get those clients to route external traffic to the UTM (WAN appliance).

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Robin. Create the VLANs and assign I address then enable it forwarding using enable ipf. That I is will be the default gateway for all users in that VLAN. For those users to then get out the way create a default route in the switch using the command configuration ipf add default. The I needs to be the WAN device. The WAN device has to be on one of the VLANs with and IP. So for example VLAN test iPad 192.168.0.1/24 and put the WAN on that subnet. You will also need to add static routes on the WAN to point back to the core. I hope that helps. If you need more provide the VLAN and IP information and we can help. Thanks p

PARTHIBAN_CHINN
Contributor
Below is what I guess you wanna achieve.
I would say assign ip to the l2 vlan but use the gateway ip for that vlan as wan appliance ip.
Then create two vlans in extreme switch with ip address so that they can route.
As last step you wanna add a static route for the two vlans to route external.
Hope this helps.
please let me know incase of any queries.

50cd47f182b54cb3a5aea635fb83b693_RackMultipart20141024-8826-1cf7wxx-Untitled_inline.png

GTM-P2G8KFN