cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BD8810 VRRP Configuration

BD8810 VRRP Configuration

Rajiv_Majumdar
New Contributor II
I have 02nos. BD8810 in different block (300mtrs distance - interconnected thru OFC dual 10G SFP+) with 12Vlans and 10 edge switches around the campus. How can I configure VRRP in both the BD8810. what will be the port configuration of both the BD8810 (interconnect ports). Will it be configured in LACP mode?

And, my edge switches X450 all will be connected from both BD8810 in redundancy mode. How can I achieve this entire scenario.

Please, suggest. Waiting for suggestion.

Rajiv Majumdar

3 REPLIES 3

Chris_H
Extreme Employee
if the x450-edge switches are connected to both of the BD's and the BD's are interconnected with each to each other, please be aware to not create a layer 2 loop on the VLANs spanning all switches...
to overcome this you could use a layer 2 redundancy protocol like STP and making sure that the interconnection between the two BD's is never blocked, however this has the disadvantage that one link to the edge-switches is always blocking and therefore bandwidth is lost..
possibly MLAG might be a better option here? I would recommend reading up on MLAG in the user guide.

If you need assistance with creating a full network design it might be better to get in touch with your account team for professional services?

Tony_Thornton
Extreme Employee
Hi Rajiv,

Below is a link to an article that provides a basic VRRP configuration for both switches.

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Configuring-VRRP-and-VLAN-tracking

Switch A would be BD8K #1 and Switch B would be BD8K #2.

A LAG, static or using LACP is good for redundancy/bandwidth purposes used between the BD8K switches. There should not be problem using LACP between the switches.

For the edge switch connectivity to the BD8K switches, customers use two uplink ports (one going to each BD8K). For example, if the x450 has uplink ports 46 and 48, 46 can be connected to BD8K #1 and 46 connected to BD8K #2. In VRRP active/standby mode, a VLAN's traffic from the x450 will be sent to the VRRP master VIP address for that VLAN. If switch A is the VRRP master, then the x450 traffic will be sent to switch A for that VLAN. If there is a problem on switch A preventing the VRRP hellos to be received and processed by the VRRP standby switch, the standby switch (switch  will assume VRRP mastership for that VLAN and the x450 traffic will begin to be sent to switch B for that VLAN.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Tony

Thanks Tony,
I will prepare the lab & documentation before implement the configuration.
But, I believe this will resolve my problem.
GTM-P2G8KFN