Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEB switch - IS-IS required?

BEB switch - IS-IS required?

tfsnetman
Contributor
Hello,

We are planning the hardware for an Extreme fabric topology and were wondering whether the BEB switches
require IS-IS.
If they do would it make sense to purchase an X450-G2 and upgrade from Edge - Advanced - Core or
purchase a X460-G2 and upgrade from Advanced - Core?

Thanks, Klaus
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Klaus,

There is a lot of content to learn about SPB and Extreme’s implementation with some fine extensions. Not only partner brochures (high-level without much details but field-proven numbers for time-to-service, failover time etc.), but also free video version of Campus Fabric certification content in the Dojo, Ed Koehler’s videos describing Fabric in the Dojo (and some on Youtube), and for example a new e-book in “… for dummies” style: https://learn.extremenetworks.com/Fabric-Networking-for-Dummies-eBook.html

I am looking forward to find some spare time to walk through this e-book, looks promising!

For hands-on experience it might be good to contact a reseller, distributor or Extreme SEs to catch some workshops.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

tfsnetman
Contributor

Hi Tomasz,

I started my Extreme Fabric training already and I also read the the e-book for dummies.

I found the attached validated design to have more “meat”.

Nice chatting to you.

Klaus

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Klaus,

There is a lot of content to learn about SPB and Extreme’s implementation with some fine extensions. Not only partner brochures (high-level without much details but field-proven numbers for time-to-service, failover time etc.), but also free video version of Campus Fabric certification content in the Dojo, Ed Koehler’s videos describing Fabric in the Dojo (and some on Youtube), and for example a new e-book in “… for dummies” style: https://learn.extremenetworks.com/Fabric-Networking-for-Dummies-eBook.html

I am looking forward to find some spare time to walk through this e-book, looks promising!

For hands-on experience it might be good to contact a reseller, distributor or Extreme SEs to catch some workshops.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

tfsnetman
Contributor

Hi Tomasz,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems as if the VSP is assuming both the role of a BCB and BEB while the X460 is a fabric attached proxy. 

Looking forward to learning more about this technology and implementing it.

I also found out that GNS3 is supporting both VOSS and XOS which means I can test it in a lab environment.

Kind regards,

Klaus

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi Klaus,

First of all, no SPB on EXOS. Only VSP/ERS. EXOS supports Fabric Attach which is a sub-feature that automates VSN provisioning in an SPB "cloud".

Hope that helps,
Tomasz
GTM-P2G8KFN