cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade code using ZTP/dhcp code 43?

Can I upgrade code using ZTP/dhcp code 43?

David_Rahn
New Contributor

Can I upgrade code using dhcp code 43/ ztp? I have attempted this several times, I can get the switch to pull a config, or xsf, but it only pulls one file.

I have found a TAC paper :

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000078340

but this reads like Chineseium stereo instructions, it states that it will take several files including xos files, but my switches never ask for that file from the tftp server.( not using netsight) ( in fact the switches never ask for more than one file)

so the question is (yes or no / please no "here is a link to something you didn't ask")

If I get the option correctly formatted, will the switch download and install firmware from a tftp server?

If yes, does someone have an example of what files and server/ and what the option looks like.

Thanks for reading

DR

11 REPLIES 11

David_Rahn
New Contributor
Thank you for your response,

if I download an xsf, does it execute the commands immediately?

would I need to set up DHCP at that point? or is the ZTP dhcp still in effect?

Dave_Hammers
Extreme Employee
I've had mixed results with option43 using the same sub option for multiple files. Some DHCP servers will only provide the last sub option in the message to the switch.

The work around is to download a .xsf (cli script) file which has the CLI commands in it to do what you want.
E.g. somefile.xsf
  • download image 10.10.10.1 ...xos
  • tftp 10.10.10.1 -g ...cfg
  • etc.

Unfortunately, 15.3 (actually, EXOS up until 15.7) will only take a config (either .cfg or .xsf).

You may be able to work around this by exploiting the .xsf file option, though. When given a .xsf file, the switch will execute the .xsf, save config, and then reboot. You might be able to use the .xsf to tell the switch to download the EXOS image (by using the 'download image' command inside the script). So basically, your .xsf file that you point to would be:
download image
I haven't tested this personally, though, so it may not work the way I'm anticipating. Based on what I can find on 15.3 auto-provision though, it seems like it should work.

OK, now we are getting somewhere, sounds like you know something about this.

does 15.3 support that just being an XOS image? all I want is for the switch to get the option and download a new 22 load, then reboot.

if I have to hit is and type enable auto-p then reboot it would be great.

It does create the TLV format for every file. For example, if you give it an IP and two files it will generate option 43 with sub-options 100 and two instances of 101 (all in TLV format).

Assuming you were testing this with the switches on 15.3, I would expect it to only pull one file, as the original auto-provision (that must be manually enabled) only provided for downloading a config to the switch (either a .cfg or a .xsf).
GTM-P2G8KFN