Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring new switch

Configuring new switch

shane_k
New Contributor

Hello,

I have recently received a replacement Summit X440 switch after the POE functionality died on the original. I need to upload the existing config onto the new switch. Do I have to configure the new switch with the IP of the original switch and upload that way or is there another way?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Shane,

If you used console port connection, you don’t even have to provide any IP address upfront to the switch to be able to copy and paste selected parts of the configuration.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shane_k
New Contributor

Thank you Bill. Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Shane

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

Shane,

if they are the same model; X440 and X440 or X440G2 and X440G2, then you should be able to upgrade the firmware to the same version.  I’d look to upgrade your original switch to v16.2.2.4 first then backup/copy the config.

Thanks,

Bill

shane_k
New Contributor

Thank you both for your responses. 

The firmware on the older faulty switch is 15.3.1.4 and the new switch is 16.2.2.4. Would the old switch update to 16.2.2.4?  Would updating the old switch first be the best way to approach this?

Kind regards,

Shane

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

Shane,

If you still have the original switch, you can run the CLI command:

save config as-script <name>

It will ask you if you want to save the file.  Once that file is saved, you can TFTP the file off the old switch, and TFTP it onto the replacement switch.

On the new switch, from the CLI:

run script <name>

And it will apply your old config - caveats are: the new switch should have the save version of FW, and if the old switch was a single switch stack, it will have to have stacking enabled before you apply the new config.

Thanks,

Bill

GTM-P2G8KFN