Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected port not blinking on x450-g2 but starts blinking on x440-g2

Connected port not blinking on x450-g2 but starts blinking on x440-g2

Miba89
New Contributor II

Dear community,

I have a problem connecting a postage meter (which has a normal RJ45 ethernet port) to one of our core switches (x450-g2). The port is enabled but for some reason, the port on the device (postage meter) does not start to blink at all (not on the switch and not on the device). When I check the switch port, the port state is still (R)eady… Restarting the port does not do anything

However when I connect a laptop to this exact same port (on the x450-g2), the port on the laptop and switch start to blink as normal… And the port state changes to (A)ctive.

When I connect this postage meter on a x440-g2 switch (same firmware version) the ethernet port starts to blink normally on both the device (postage meter) and switch… The port state on the x440-g2 is (A)ctive and the device functions normally.

So I have no clue why the postage meter simply does not come online on the x450-g2 switch? Can somebody point me into the right direction?

System Type: X450G2-48p-10G4 (Stack)
Primary ver: 30.7.1.1 patch1-103
Secondary ver: 30.5.1.15

System Type: X440G2-48p-10G4 (Stack)
Primary ver: 30.7.1.1 patch1-103
Secondary ver: 21.1.3.7

Thanks in advance
Kind regards,
Michiel B.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miba89
New Contributor II

Mystery solved 🙂

The machine was set to full duplex, but apparently this device has a 10mbit port (not a 100mbit port).

I suppose that’s why autonegotiation failed…? When we configured this manually:

# configure port 2:18 auto off speed 10 duplex full

The port came online, just like that 🙂

when we set the speed to “100” (configure port 2:18 auto off speed 100 duplex full), the port simply stayed offline.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Curtis_Brabham
New Contributor III

Just to clarify on this, the X440-G2 did what it was supposed to do.  If one side has a forced full duplex  setting and the other side is left auto, it will cause a duplex mismatch.  It was designed this way for backwards compatibility with hubs...which no one uses anymore (right?).

That said, I can’t explain why the X450-G2 didn’t link.  It should have exhibited the same behavior where it linked but with a duplex mismatch.

You can still leave auto on but force a speed on a port, so you could try setting the postage machine to auto negotiate, and try setting your port with these settings:

configure port 2:18 auto on speed 10

You’ve already got it working though, so it may not be worth messing with at this point.  4dbe8b349d254167aa65b779aaffb869_1f601.png

Miba89
New Contributor II

Mystery solved 🙂

The machine was set to full duplex, but apparently this device has a 10mbit port (not a 100mbit port).

I suppose that’s why autonegotiation failed…? When we configured this manually:

# configure port 2:18 auto off speed 10 duplex full

The port came online, just like that 🙂

when we set the speed to “100” (configure port 2:18 auto off speed 100 duplex full), the port simply stayed offline.

Miba89
New Contributor II

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for the feedback. The switch detects the device indeed as a “half duplex device” on the x440. Even though I’ve set this postage meter as “full duplex” in the device settings…

I suppose that will indeed be the problem.

Thank you for your input.

Kind regards.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Are both ports configured for auto-negotiation? What parameters are negotiated on the X440-G2? Full-Duplex or half duplex? 10, 100 or 1000 Mbit/s?

X440-G2 supports half-duplex 10/100, but X450-G2 does not support it at all - I think here lays the problem. 

GTM-P2G8KFN