Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dhcp binding + dhcp excluded

dhcp binding + dhcp excluded

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hello, all!

Can you, please, give me explanation about DHCP-binding.

User Guide says "The DHCP bindings database contains the IP address, MAC Address, VLAN ID, and port number of the untrusted interface or client."
But as I understand dhcp binding - when we want to give to some client MAC address preconfigured IP address. Or I'm wrong?
If I wrong - how can we bind MAC-IP addresses pairs?

And last question: how can we exclude some addresses from switch DHCP-server?
As I remember - there wasn't so option.
But what we have to do if switch have dhcp-server with pool, for example, 10.0.0.50 - 10.0.0.100, but we have some clients which have static address 10.0.0.70 ???
12 REPLIES 12

Kawawa
Extreme Employee
To sum up this thread, the following article outlines some ideas around DHCP Snooping and the DHCP Bindings database: How to configure DHCP Snooping on EXOS

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
The DHCP binding database of the switch pertains to DHCP snooping, where the switch records which IP address has been provided to and accepted by what MAC address.

OK.
Thank you!

Ahh yes, I now follow. My understanding is that all ports are untrusted unless listed as trusted, therefore the switch drops and logs a violation for any DHCP packets arriving from a DHCP server on that port!

Hi, Kawawa!

I look there. In this section "Configuring DHCP Binding" all clear.

But earlier, in section "DHCP Snooping and Trusted DHCP Server" was write that "The DHCP bindings database contains the IP address, MAC Address, VLAN ID, and port number of the untrusted interface or client." Word untrusted confused me.
GTM-P2G8KFN