cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge closet design

Edge closet design

DJaquays
New Contributor

We’re getting ready to refresh a significant number of edge closets and are looking to change up a few things. Our primary goals are:

• Support 2.5/5gbps links for our WAPs.
  • Reduce/eliminate total downtime of the wired network and wireless network
  • Save money

The current thought is to do something like the following:

• Place 2 higher-end switches capable of multi-gigabit links to handle the WAPs (max ~20 APs/closet)
  • Fill out the remaining port needs with lower-end PoE switches

The question is, what’s the best way to accomplish the first 3 points following the second two. My initial thought would be to take the two higher-end switches (either 5520s or x465s) and set them up as an MLAG and the lower-end switches (either x440s or v400s) as a “stack” (with the understanding that V400s don’t actually stack and assuming that V400s can be uplinked to an MLAG). This should allow any one of the 3 entities to go down for whatever reason (hopefully just firmware updates) without taking the other 2 down.

Diagram of what I think is a good idea until people tell me why I’m being dumb:

3da25e9f3bf14f19a939454b0df7494f_1bd4981d-592b-4414-b490-0d554f013ef2.png

Am I missing anything? I understand that nothing benefits from the MLAG except for the stack and the uplink to the core. Is there a better way to accomplish what I’m after?

15 REPLIES 15

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Correct. If the X440 (I prefer them over V400) Stack is connected via MLAG to “Closet-Switches” it will stay online if you reboot the “closet-switches” one by one (e.g. for an firmware upgrade)

I don’t think that you can connect one WAP to both switches because, they all have only one PoE-Port afaik (and offer only one MultiGig Port) So you don’t have any high-availability for your access-points. 

To reduce the downtime during a hardware failure, reboot, firmware upgrade… you might have to distribute the WAPs evenly on both switches, so that the users always have two WAPs near them, each on a different switch.

GTM-P2G8KFN