cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ELRP and STP x450e

ELRP and STP x450e

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
I have 1 x450e acting as a core switch and 5 more that are trunked to the core; a basic hub and spoke topology. I don't believe there is a loop in this design, but my question is do I need to run STP or ELRP here? Can someone give me some best practices as it relates to preventing loops or other issues with this topology?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
I think I know the answer to that, but to confirm. I set ELRP on all ports and disable it on the uplink on all switches????

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply. I did see the article on ELRP; another question on that, do I apply it only on the uplink from the access switches or just the ports on the core that the access switches trunk too or both?

Sorry, for the basic questions, I'm a bit new to this.

Thanks.

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
Andrew, If it is a hub and spoke design I would: create vlan "noloop" and add it to every port tagged Add all your uplink ports to the elrp excluded list on their respective switches. In our designs configure elrp to permanently disable ports when a loop is detected. This will protect you from people plugging loops in and prevent your uplinks from being taken down by the loop.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Andrew,

with a hub and spoke setup STP should not be required but it really is a matter of opinion. If the setup is all Extreme then ELRP will work just fine. Here is an article that provides a basic configuration for ELRP:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-ELRP-to-disable-ports

Hope this helps!
GTM-P2G8KFN