cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS on VirtualBox

EXOS on VirtualBox

RomM
New Contributor
Hi fam! I am an aspiring network engineer. And since I don't have an actual appliance, I downloaded VirtualBox for simulation. My first goal is to simulate EXOS FW upgrade. And so, I made my PC as the TFTP server, Installed EXOS ver 21 on virtualbox, assign IP for management VLAN same network as my PC. Problem is, EXOS cannot ping my PC, vice versa. Anything I missed or haven't done that is causing virtualbox EXOS and my PC(host pc) to do not see each other? Thanks in advance fam.
4 REPLIES 4

RomM
New Contributor
I used the vm .xos from this link https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS/tree/master/xos_files

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Did you use the .xos files for the upgrade?  Only in the EXOS-VM you have to use the .qcow2 image to get the switch up but the .xos to upgrade them.

Virtual_EXOS/README.md at master · extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS · GitHub

RomM
New Contributor
Hi Stephen.

I successfully pinged the virtualbox ethernet, however when i try to upgrade EXOS, I receive this error - disk space not enough. I already cleared space the error still persist.

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Rom,

Welcome to the group!  The first VirtualBox interface you make will be the management port and the 2nd will be port 1 and so on.  You can get it to work by setting the network adapter one to Host-only Adapter and select the pre-made adaptor (VirturalBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter.)  Then Check the IP your PC has for that adapter and set the management port to be in the same network range.  Then ping from the PC or from the switch to each other.  If your using the switch you will need to use the command "ping vr vr-mgmt <ip>" to ensure you are using the mgmt vr.  

You can also check out this old guide if you want to do more with VirtualBox, but the GNS3 setup is the best user experience in my opinion.  

Thanks,

Stephen
GTM-P2G8KFN