cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS: X670V-48x Link up delay ??

EXOS: X670V-48x Link up delay ??

M_Nees
Contributor III
We have 2x X670V-48x Stacks (with 2 Switches each) for redundant Servers connections. We use both hardware servers (windows 2008/2012) and virtual servers(vmware 5.5)). The redundancy mechanism is triggered by port Link status ! (All people know that is not best - but it cannot be changed). The regarding Servers are connected via 1GB TP GBICs (original Extreme parts).

We have some trouble during server redundancy tests !
+ If we power down the switches (pulling power cable) - the expected switch over to backup server run fast (4 seconds) - perfect!
+ If we reboot the switch (warmstart via CLI) the server need a lot of more time (nearly 1 minute) to switch over to the backup server!

The problem is that if the switch was rebooted the switching logic is shutting down fast by the software but the port Link is UP (gbic). Only at the end of the switch shutdown process the GBIC lost the LINK Up (= port down). Now the server recognize that the link failed and switch over. At startup the same problem - the switch link up the GBIC first but the switching logic (EXOS processes) are not running for 100%. So the server think that the link is OK and tried to communicate - but this failed because the switch needs time to startup. This behaviour get more worse because the X670V need a lot of time to boot (regarding to X670-G2).

My question is now - can we control the GBIC link state? In my szenario it would be the best if the link (maybe through a delay of x seconds) come up only if the switch is booted completly. And if the switch was rebooted, shutdown the link immediately (not at the end of the shutdown process).

Any ideas or feedback if you are fighting with the same problems ?
17 REPLIES 17

StephenW
Extreme Employee
I'm not sure anything can be done about the shutdown delay on link down or the startup delay. The server doesn't have a sticky failover setting?

You could disable the port --> save the config --> then enable the port and leave the config unsaved. If the switch reboots the port will stay down until you enable it.

UPM could work.

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi Extreme Guys,

any statement to my issue ?!

Regards

Andreas_Larsen1
New Contributor
Maybe use a eventscript ? That triggers on reboot command ? Would be nice to see a official answer. I think that the process of shutdown should be syncronous with powering of the ports. Not only logically shutting them down.
GTM-P2G8KFN