cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS: X670V-48x Link up delay ??

EXOS: X670V-48x Link up delay ??

M_Nees
Contributor III
We have 2x X670V-48x Stacks (with 2 Switches each) for redundant Servers connections. We use both hardware servers (windows 2008/2012) and virtual servers(vmware 5.5)). The redundancy mechanism is triggered by port Link status ! (All people know that is not best - but it cannot be changed). The regarding Servers are connected via 1GB TP GBICs (original Extreme parts).

We have some trouble during server redundancy tests !
+ If we power down the switches (pulling power cable) - the expected switch over to backup server run fast (4 seconds) - perfect!
+ If we reboot the switch (warmstart via CLI) the server need a lot of more time (nearly 1 minute) to switch over to the backup server!

The problem is that if the switch was rebooted the switching logic is shutting down fast by the software but the port Link is UP (gbic). Only at the end of the switch shutdown process the GBIC lost the LINK Up (= port down). Now the server recognize that the link failed and switch over. At startup the same problem - the switch link up the GBIC first but the switching logic (EXOS processes) are not running for 100%. So the server think that the link is OK and tried to communicate - but this failed because the switch needs time to startup. This behaviour get more worse because the X670V need a lot of time to boot (regarding to X670-G2).

My question is now - can we control the GBIC link state? In my szenario it would be the best if the link (maybe through a delay of x seconds) come up only if the switch is booted completly. And if the switch was rebooted, shutdown the link immediately (not at the end of the shutdown process).

Any ideas or feedback if you are fighting with the same problems ?
17 REPLIES 17

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
for link up, you can use a script to disable it for a while (1mn?), to be sure the switch is "fully" Up. This script can be a Python process (15.7+) or CLI Scripting launched from autoexec.xsf, for example. If the script is static it's easy to do, if you need something more dynamic, and you know how to find what port should be disabled, that sounds doable without too many effort.

Hi Stephane,

can you provide me an example how can we do that:
1) switch starting (planed or unplaned) - server links down (disabled)
2) wait 180 seconds
3) ena server links

If possible CLI Script via autoxec.xsf prefered.

Regards

M_Nees
Contributor III
One other thought - regarding link up on a switch:

On an edge Switch/Link the port link up have to be very fast because of the end-system boot up - this avaoid problems with Windows boot up. in this case is will ne not so important if the switch is fully operational - mainly the NIC is up and the windows boot in normal way.

On an server Switch/Link it is better the link comes up first when the switch is 100% opertional. It does not matter if i need a few seconds/minutes more time. If the Link comes up and the switch does not work fully this is very bad.

The question is how can we address/serving these two opposed demands with EXOS ??

M_Nees
Contributor III
GTAC Case 01201431 is opened!

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi Prashanth,
many thanks to you that you care about my problem!

You are right for your lab environment.

But we are using X670V which need a log time to boot (because G1). The problem will be emphases through several additional things:
+ Stacking
+ mLAG
+ Problems with 1GB TP Links (Problem with GBICs and Link which do not come up reliable
GTAC Ticket: 01200294)

I will open a GTAC Case to provide you a show tech of the regarding switch.

Another thing!
I the switch tells you in the log "Switch is operational" this surely true for "naked" EXOS but NOT sure for a the daemon like LAGs, MLAGs, Routing, etc - all the actives daemons which managed additional functions. You can see this if you setup you labw with end-systems and let them ping each other.

Generally i think in EXOS need me originally claim:
"Link up delay of X seconds" OR "a depency to an EMS event"!

Regards

GTM-P2G8KFN