cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme equivalent of trunking

Extreme equivalent of trunking

brian_osgoiod
New Contributor
I am having difficulty understanding how multiple vlans are transported between extreme switches (not stacked) and how they are physically cabled. With cisco i create two trunk ports directly connected between switches and pass multiple vlans between these switches on the connected trunk ports or lags. How is this physically performed with extreme. What i see in the extreme documentation is tagging, but I find nothing pertaining to how these tags are assembled on a trunk like port and passed amongst switches...
43 REPLIES 43

thank you...

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Here's a thread that you may find helpful: Extreme Networks Self-Paced Training
Also, welcome to The Hub!

yes, i just finished reading the quick guide.. i'll take a look at the cheat sheet...also looking at the user guide which the quick guide references as most useful... any other suggested reading sources are welcome... thank you

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Brian, you may want to take a look at the EXOS Quick Guide.
There's also an "EXOS Cheat Sheet" that someone has put together.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Brian,

When a packet egress a tagged port through let's say vlan tag 10 then the ethernet frame is increased by 4 bytes which includes the 802.1a tag/ID 10. The other side port must be also tagged for vlan 10 so it can check the ethernet frame 802.1q value (10 in this case) and then assign the traffic to the correct vlan (vlan 10).

Example:

PC1 port 1 ==== SW1 port 5 ================ port 5 SW2 port 1 ==== PC2

Vlans:

Sw1: Sw2:
vlan_10 tag 10 vlan_10 tag 10
vlan_20 tag 20 vlan_20 tag 20
vlan_30 tag 30 vlan_30 tag 30

Configuration for both switches:

create vlan vlan_10 tag 10
create vlan vlan_20 tag 20
create vlan vlan_30 tag 30

configure vlan vlan_10 add port 5 tagged
configure vlan vlan_20 add port 5 tagged
configure vlan vlan_30 add port 5 tagged

configure vlan vlan_10 add port 1 untagged
configure vlan vlan_20 add port 1 untagged
configure vlan vlan_30 add port 1 untagged

Based on the above example the following is true:
  • When a packet egress Sw1 port 5 through vlan_30, the packet will have 802.1q tagged frame (ID 30) included. When the packet ingress Sw2 port 5 it will read the ethernet frame 802.1q ID 30 and assign vlan_30 to it. When the packet egress port 1 (untagged) it will strip the 802.1q tagged frame (4 bytes) and then PC2 will be able to read the packet
  • Same behavior will happen when the packet egress/ingress from/to the other vlans (10 and 20)
GTM-P2G8KFN