Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Summit X440-L2-24T IP Forwarding

Extreme Summit X440-L2-24T IP Forwarding

ahackey
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have an Extreme Summit X440-L2-24T and I can’t enable ipforwarding. When I try to input the command “enable ipforwarding” followed by anything, I get the invalid input response. The enable ipforwarding command doesn’t come up when I press tab to make sure I typed it in correctly. Is there something that I need to do before I am able to use the ipforwarding? I have set up other X440 and this is the first time I have run into this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

ahackey
New Contributor

Thank you for the response. The product description on amazon reads ”With high density, low latency, line rate 10/100/1000 Ethernet, dedicated 10 Gbps stacking ports, available redundant power supplies, hardware-based IP support (IPv4 and IPv6) and rich Layer 2 to Layer 4 functionality in a compact, 1RU form factor, the Summit X440 also provides effective enterprise class network access.”

I was hoping that IP forwarding was part of the functionality and that I was doing something wrong.

BradP
Extreme Employee

Hi ahackey,

The L2 portion of the model name there indicates that its a Layer 2 only switch. It will not do any Layer 3 based forwarding (routing). For this reason, there is no need to include IP forwarding--because this is not supported on that switch.

Thank you,

Brad

GTM-P2G8KFN