cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FN414 - Memory Leak in HAL Process in EXOS 16.1.4 - How urgent?

FN414 - Memory Leak in HAL Process in EXOS 16.1.4 - How urgent?

Thorsten_Breide
New Contributor
Hi,

FN414 mention memory leak in HAL process which lead to network instability or switch reboot.

My question is how urgent an update to v16.1.4-patch 1-3 or later should be done?
Does somebody know the uptime a switch need to run in this problem?
Or how many Switches are affected? Every Switch running this version or one out of thousand?

We are running BD8810, X670 and X460 with this xos-version.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Robinson
New Contributor
This behavior can be triggered reliably by network vulnerability testing using OpenVAS testing all IANA-assigned TCP and UDP ports and using the Full and Complete Ultimate testing template.

Is there a CVE related to this issue?

A. Robinson, CISSP CSSLP CGEIT CISM

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Andy, I'm not aware of any CVE being published for this issue. If you'd like to discuss further, privately, let me know and I'll get you in touch with our vulnerability team.

Tripathy__Priya
Extreme Employee
Hello Thorsten,

In addition to what Henrique has to say please find some additional information as below:

Either upgrade to EXOS16.1.4p1-3 or later as you are already running on this Exos version at present.. Else try to stay on any of the following build:
16.2.x , 21.x and 22.x----------They all do not exhibit this reported behavior so far.

Hope all these information will be helpful for you......

Weidle__Bert
Extreme Employee
Hi Thorsten, It is very difficult to predict how quickly this issue will be seen, since it depends on many factors, including the number of FDB deletions and MAC moves.
You may monitor 'show memory process hal' output periodically to see memory utilization. If HAL memory utilization is rapidly increasing, then you really need to upgrade soon.
We recommend that you upgrade as soon as possible, if you are running EXOS 16.1.4.2
GTM-P2G8KFN