cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use EXOS ISO Files in VMWARE ESXI as a lab. I do not like GNS 3. GNS3 is a pain in the you know what.

How can I use EXOS ISO Files in VMWARE ESXI as a lab. I do not like GNS 3. GNS3 is a pain in the you know what.

nola_saint
New Contributor
How can I use EXOS ISO Files in VMWARE ESXI as a lab. I do not like GNS 3. GNS3 is a pain in but you know what. I'm trying to figure out how to setup a lab environment with just exos iso files running in VMWARE ESXI. I would like to be able to see how VLAN routing and tagging works and other configurations work. I have a stand alone vmware server and I have installed a couple of exos iso images and they run and I can configure them so I know the commands. But I know I would like make things happen.
6 REPLIES 6

Scott_Singer1
Extreme Employee

Hi Nola,

Hopefully better late than never.

I prefer VMWare as well.  I can run the XOS VMs next to XMC, Control, Analytics, XCA, VGVA, ExtremeNAC, a Window Server, etc..  I’m no expert, but I’ve used the attached steps with VMWare Workstation and ESXi successfully.   These steps work for the newer, G2-oriented XOS, 30.X and above.  I’ll leave it to the experts to tell me if I should do something different.  

Regards, Scott

nola_saint
New Contributor
I have used this but how would you connect servers or workstations to it to test VLAN routing.

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Did you go through this guide below?

https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS/blob/master/Install_Guide_EXOS-VM-VirtualBox.docx?ra...

I have been setting up EXOS VM for many years. My best experience has been with GNS3. Getting it to work can be a pain but using the GNS3-VM and host setup is the best experience i have had. The trick i found was to use VMware Workstation paid version for the GNS3-VM

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello Nola,

I only have practical experience with GNS3 and for me it works fine. But I use it only for basic setup and testing especially with different vendors.

It's not easy to setup but there are a lot of documents concerning GNS3 (not only on GitHub).

Best regards
Stephan
Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN