cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I test traffic between switches?

How do I test traffic between switches?

Rodrigo_Azevedo
New Contributor II
I need to do a test traffic on a ring network.
The idea is to test by generating traffic if links are at least close to the expected nominal speed.
Whats I need to do this test? How?

15 REPLIES 15

This link is not avaiable. Is there a new link!?

Thanks EtherMAN,

One more question, in a ring network, do I have to do this traffic generator test switch by switch!?

we do that too and yes if you know how to use iperf this is a great way to test trough networks desktop to desktop... It really all depends on what you are trying to prove. I can tell you from working at layer 2 ethernet for 19 years using Extreme they will always be able to get 100 % utilization out of any port or interface you use. There is a huge difference in profiling a service or just checking continuity.

We are a metro carrier using Extreme 1600 switches about 80 or 90 EAPS rings ... 6000 or so active interfaces.... For a simple vlan built across the network traversing several rings/switches we just drop an ip/30 common subnet on the vlan on each side and do a ping test... if it works we have a complete service if not then there is an error in the configuration somewhere.

If we have to profile a service then we use either NIDS or test sets.

If we are trouble shooting customer throughput issues then IPERF is a good tool if they know how to use it or you still have to go back and use a test set and profile the service showing them you are not the problem....

Hummm... I understand EtherMAN,

Can I use iperf program to do this test?

This will verify your service for sure but if you are wanting to get jitter and latency measurements it would be better to purchase ether dedicated test gear and do ether a RFC 2544 test or a 1564 test. Test gear very in prices and used gear is available in the market. Other option we use is a pair nids from Accedian or any of the other NID vendors and do the same testing ... Either of these options will give you a baseline with reports where you can show and prove your network is performing as expected ...
GTM-P2G8KFN