cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make 2 switches talk after connecting with fiber?

How to make 2 switches talk after connecting with fiber?

Adam_Joseph
New Contributor
Hi

First off, I'm very new to this, so please bear with me as I'm learning. I've tried to research this but I don't know the keywords I need.

I have 2 Summit X250e-48P switches. I have managed to create a VLAN, set a DHCP scope, and connect devices. They work great individually.

I have connected them together via the SFP slots with LC connectors (labeled for use with Extreme switches).

Should that be it, or do I need to configure the SFP ports?

Sorry if I haven't given enough information.
13 REPLIES 13

they don't seem to be changeable on the patch cables i'm using. and the same patch cables are working with the other swicth on the same modules.

They are for duplex (dual) fiber? Try change tx/rx (left/right) fibers

Adam_Joseph
New Contributor
OK, without any configuration, when i connect a single fiber cable it works fine. When I go through my fiber patch panel, it doesn't.

However, if I connect it to an existing switch on a different network, the link is active. All 8 fiber patch cores work fine, so that's not the issue. I find it bizarre that it will talk to my other switch, but not the one I want it to.

Is there a reason it would work over a 1m fiber cable and not a 80m cable, except for the SPF module? Because I have 6, 4 are rated 10k and the other 2 550m. And the module works fine when connecting to the switch on the other network.

Any input would be great, thanks.

you should not mess SM and MM modules,also carefully read other rates on SFP modules, especially those, who work on a single fiber (WDM)
Those who are for 550m are probably for MM fiber, 850nm wave, dual fiber
Others use TX1310/RX1550 (blue ones) and vise-versea (TX1550/RX1310nm, violet ones)

You should find out which fiber is used between fiber patch panels: singlemode or multimode
And which patchcords you use: traditionally orange are for multimode, yellow are for singlemode

Adam_Joseph
New Contributor
great, i'll try this out next week. Thanks!
GTM-P2G8KFN